Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I think my rev limiter is bad and I am looking way to bypass

Customer Question

I think my rev limiter is bad and I am looking for a way to bypass it or disable It a 2000 Polaris sportsman 500
JA: What is the model of your '00 motorcycle?
Customer: polaris sportmans 500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have puller of the cover for the belt to make sure its not slipping. I had some corrosion in the connectors on the handlebar for the ignition and lights. They seem to be working good not but it still will not rev past 1/4 turn on the throttle
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Headlights and instrument lights
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the reverse light does come on when I press the yellow override button so it seems to be working at the switch
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, confirm that it is indeed an RPM limiter issue and not combustion. Let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check the burn color of the spark plug's inner ceramic tip;
  • - if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue @ the intake;
  • - if oily, then an internal engine problem;
  • - if very light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern @ air box/coupling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a chance to check out your suggestions yet. I was basically looking for the location of the Rev Limiter so I could try by-passing it to see if that was my problem. I didn't want to tear the carb apart yet.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

There is no actual separate RPM / rev limiter. It has a circuit that specifies max fail safe RPM and built-in into the CDI as part of its overall design. This model has a REVerse limiter and can be bypassed by a push on the over ride (yellow) button in reverse to get full power.