Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 H O atv Have no

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Polaris...
I have a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 H O atv
Have no electical power what's so ever. Battery is good. No lights, gauges. Just like someone removed the battery. Any help will great full.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
7/12/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Mike and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done and depending on the year/model/version):

• • check/clean the fusible link(s) and terminal lugs / connections;
  • • do the same for the big terminals of the starter solenoid particularly that used to connect to the battery's + terminal.

Still, let's try/review the basics; re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

All others would point to a potential issue with the electronic control module.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery is 12.43 volts. Tighten and clean
At solenoid is 12 volts
Check continuity at small terminals at solenoid with no open
Check grounds at 3 locations. Tight
Remove headlight cover and check connections at switch. OkWhat started this was Sunday the unit will shut its self off. No power to gauges.
Stop, put in N, turn key off then back on, have power to guages and restart. Did this about 4 times though out the day until finally stop.Where is the fuse able link located and is there a way to check the 2 yellow wires coming out of the ECM or just replace itThanks mike

Hi again Mike,

The fusible link(s) would almost always be grayish and would look just like a short length of wire. It is normally tied to the same big terminal of the starter solenoid as used by the big cable of the battery's + terminal.

Re-confirm the presence of ALWAYS+12V at both ends of the gray fusible link then / connector to the red wire. Trace/test this red wire all the way to where it feeds a connector.

It would be doubtful if the ECU has any issue. A faulty ECU issue would not cause "... no electical power...No lights, gauges..."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replace the double wire eye because it had crack. This hooks into the + side of the solenoid. Everything started up. Start the atv ran then died with no power. Trace and measured the two brown wires which I assume that those where the links. Measure volts coming out which turn in to double red wire.Had volts up to the front wire loom. Also had volt at double wire at the ECM. Not sure if it's coming or going.Not sure what else to check because off all the colors.

Please re-check/confirm the "...two brown wires..." as brown is usually ground wire with Polaris models.

And what are the wire colors of the "...had volt at double wire at the ECM..."

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 light brown wire from positive side of the solenoid that leads into a hard black jacket then 2 red wires coming out2 red wire that goes into the ECM. Other colors as well that

Apologies for the delay Mike; mobile with sluggish Internet connection if at all.

Very significant that upon "... Replace the double wire eye...", the electrical worked but stopped, then the fusible link itself would be highly suspect.

For test purposes and to confirm, remove/disconnect/bypass the fusible link and wire directly the "...double red wire..." to the + terminal of the starter solenoid or preferably to the battery's.

However, if not corrective, then these would be indicative of a failing / intermittent electronic control module. The ECM also acts as an electronic fuse/relay to provide the harness with the other +12V supply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would there be two fusible link on each brown wire? Most fusible links I know and I agree with you they are a grey in color and fat In regards ***** ***** wires. These two is black and cover is hard and thin. Each brown wire coming from the solenoid goes though the black connection then into red wire.I assume that the ECM is my trouble so because when the atv was running last night it started to miss and rpm started to fail.Where is a good place to purchase one on the web or best to go though the dealer.Thanks

It would be to your advantage to go directly to a dealer for parts replacement.

The above description would more be for a circuit breaker.

Still, consider bypassing these and directly wiring the 2 red wires. For simplicity, alligator clips with wires may be used similar to the product shown HERE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very good, I will bypass the connection and go directly from the two red wires to the solenoid

This would then serve both as a test by process of elimination and as a temporary fix.

As a test, the culprit would be identified; bypass works, then the fusible link/circuit breaker would be faulty.

If not, then the ECM would need looking into if not a replacement.

Glad that the above information may serve your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so).

Good luck and thank you for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bypass the two link and directly in the solenoid. I have 12 volts but again no electical power to anything. ECM? I still have not found the fusible link

With or without the fusible links, if the two (2) red wires are now directly powered but still no power to anything/everything else, then yes; the ECM would now be most likely fault.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i applied 12 volts to the red w blk strip to ignition switch. Everything came on. Also when u shut the kill switch off then everything shut off. I am assuming that the kill and ignition switch is working.There is 2 blk plastic boxes with orange tops. Not sure what they are and one big blk plastic box. ECM below them.

Please provide clear pictures. Click HERE.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no idea where that tab is located. All I see is +Add files.

+Add Files and direct to where the picture file is located.

Alternatively, please upload to Dropbox or imgur.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent you a photo. I think it was sent vie email?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How to I get it to you though dropbox

Thanks; and these appear to be the junction boxes where the wires of the same color are coupled together.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I'll get a ECM and try it. I assume I can rule out the solenoid, ignition and safety switch. Any more ideas or something we haven't thought about. Never did find that fusible link

The fusible link or circuit breaker may well be inside the "... hard black jacket..."

Though and since bypassed would not be a suspect.

That there is voltage on the 2 red wires to the electronic control module BUT none going out / provided to the ignition switch, then yes; replacing the electronic control module would be the next logical step.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I let you know and thanks for your help

Cheers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I continue to look into a little closer and its either the connection where it plugs into the ECM or the pins in the ECM. It's starts but looses on electrical power if rev the motor. By moving the wire connection the lights will come on and starts. When I move the wire connection it shuts off. I took the connection out and clean and inspect the wires going in the plastic connection and see if the female pins is out of shape. To me they look fine.Question. Is the plastic wire harness wore where enough that it won't stay plug under vibration and how to fix that or is the ECM connection wore out.

It is of course possible. However, this has been taken into account hence the slight slack in harness and the snapping together of the connector.

It is also possible for the connector pins to be needing cleaning. Consider using compressed air or better yet, plastic safe / non-staining CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent to clean the insides of the harness' connector and that of the ECM's.

Another possibility is internal to the ECM; intermittent and/or cold solder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did the cleaner and compress air with no luck. I suppose remove the ECM and take a look see if pins is broke/loose.In this case what would you do? Hate to buy a ECM if the connector is the problem. All wires seem to be tight in the connector. I'm not sure what my next move is.

Shop/dealer practice is to "borrow" from a friendly donor/source a known to be good ECM.

Louie, Technician