P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

My 03 flstci will not start, SAt years ran good 2 x and

Customer Question

my 03 flstci will not start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: SAt for 10 years ran good 2 x and washed it a little now just cranks
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: I hear fuel pump
JA: What year is your motorcycle?
Customer: battery and starter strong
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: cchecked no spark with a new plug on both wires
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 H.D. Heritage soft tail classic FLSTCI. Battery charged Starter cranks well. I left spark plugs In and checked spark with a new plug grounded to cylinder jug, no spark Checked all fuses both sides with ignition on with a test light to ground and fuses ok, removed inspected both relays and terminals are clean and dry, I hear fuel pump run, I checked for battery +, at coil pack wiring harness 4 pin and there is none. Everything seems clean and dry. Full of fresh gas,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel Injected. Scooter ran well except for a slight rise in idle speed before it stalled out then started right back up and ran and rode well 2 times after sitting for 11 years in my barn due to personal problem. it was started and idled regularly in a heated dry space during that time. Washed it up a little after a long cool down. Let it dry and it started and was driven into barn then no start the next day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yellow wire to coil 4 pin harness con. has momentary B+ when switched to run and also while cranking,
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

You likely have a dirty or bad crank position sensor. The sensor is located down on the forward left side of the crankcase near the end of the oil filter.

First, remove the single retaining bolt and gently twist and pull the sensor out of the case hole. Clean off any metal debris on the end of the sensor as it can interrupt the generator of the fire signal. Re-install the senor.

To test it you set your meter to the AC setting. Connect your leads to the two wires leading from the sensor. With your leads connected you should see 1 to 3 volts AC depending on cranking speed.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.75 VAC at .155 KHz when cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CPS
clean as a Whistle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

And you still see no spark at plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reinstalled CPS
Checked all fuses again OK
Cranks
0 VDC at all 4 wires on coil pack wiring 4 pin harness while cranking
No Start
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

The intermittent voltage at the coil is the issue. We just need to figure out why it is happening.

Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Let me find a schematic.

Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Check to verify you have continuous power on the blue/gray wire leading into the system relay.

Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

The yellow/green at the coil is the only wire you should see power on. It should get power for a brief time when the ignition is first switched on. It will have power as long as you hear the fuel pump.

Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Just going back through your initial information. The increasing idle leads me to believe that the idle air control may have an issue. It supplies 100% of your idle air. If it doesn't step to the correct setting the bike will not start.

Try cracking the throttle slightly while you crank the bike. If it fires then you know you need a new idle air control solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having a problem accessing the back of the system relay with battery installed.
do I remove the 4 allens on the computer and the 2 allens to remove bracket holding the system relay or do I test blue/grey with relay removed.
if so which wire is it on the relay plug by clock position on relay plug ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried cracking throttle
Cranks No start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also accessed codes
d01clr
d02clr
03clr
d04clr
d05clr
d06clr
d07clr
d08clr
d09clr
d10clr
PPU
82883
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after removing the relay/fuse bracket and zip ties identified blue/gray wire and with relay removed 12 volts continuous
relay coil 83.5 ohms and physically functioning back and forth with switch.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a security system?

Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Also, check that all grounds on the two bolts under the seat are properly connected to the frame and that there isn't any corrosion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No security system
I will reexamine disassemble and clean those grounds grounds as soon as I can
thanks I will let you know their status
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Keep me posted. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Grounds are all clean
Cranks No start.
What should I get for Resistance/ Ohm readings across the coil windings?
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Primary resistance (pins C yellow/blue to D blue/orange) should be 0.5 to 0.7 Ohms

Secondary (plug wire tower to plug wire tower) resistance should be 5500 to 7500 Ohms