P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Something going on with my 2016 road glide special. The

Customer Question

Something going on with my 2016 road glide special. The battery died I thought it was something I added. Air shocks, electric kick stand, leds. But I disconnected everything I added. Removed the large fuse on the side of the bike. Put the leads of my ammeter across the empty fuse block and I'm getting a fluctuating reading of .9 to 1.5 amps across the fuse block with the ignition off. Something seams to be drawing power. Any ideas? Or further trouble shooting I can do to isolate?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

When you connect your meter your meter becomes the fuse and you are re-energizing the ECM, TSSM, and radio memory. The ignition off amperage draw you list is normal for those components in their "off" mode.

How fast is the battery going dead? Have you had the battery load tested? It may have a shorted cell or cells. I get about 1 in 100 new batteries that are bad so it does happen. The body control module (BCM) that supplies power to individual circuits on your bike cannot be accessed to individually isolate those circuits so disconnecting things is difficult, if not impossible on your bike. The BCM can be tested by using a dealer's service computer or an independent shop's diagnostic computer system.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger on completing the circuit with the meter, in order to get an accurate amperage reading you need to put the ammeter in series. 1.5 amps draw is normal, how can that be? a battery discharging at 1.5 amps per hour how long would it last? took the bike for a ride yesterday, parked it and today the batt was dead.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are putting the meter in series by connecting to each side of the fuse holder.

Have you had it load tested? Have you tested the charging system?