Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Can a bad head gasket on a 2014 arctic cat prowler xtx 700

Customer Question
cause the motor to overheat...
can a bad head gasket on a 2014 arctic cat prowler xtx 700 cause the motor to overheat at full throttle, does not overheat when at half throttle or less. It takes about 2 miles at full throttle to overheat then I drive at half throttle and it cools down
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/8/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

does the cooling fan come on?

do you ever need to add coolant?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did once but the last two time i took it out i didn't have to
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fan is on and fuses are all good

ok.

the one time you had to add coolantt,is that because it boiled out the coolant?

ok.

does coolant flow in the radiator even when it is cold?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure i wait for the thermostat to open before i look for flow

i was thinking the thermostat may be stuck open,,this is why i wanted to know if it flowed cold.

i dont think you have a blown head gasket..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wont be able to check as im working 3 hours from my home wont be back there till saturday

i think you may have one of two possible problems..

1-the thermostat is sticking open letting the coolant free flow[not giving the radiator time to cool the coolant]..or

2-the radiator itself is clogged on the inside[some of the core may not be flowing

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is only 200 miles on the machine 30 hours

i see,,,

replace that thermostat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you i'll try that

you are very welcome

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks i will leave you a rating

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry i haven't sent a rating yet. but i wanted to see if that fixed the problem first. I have replaced the thermostat and the sencor. that did not help so i took out the rad and cleaned it then had it looked at and this is in good shape so now i don't know what to do next

there is now nothing left but the head gasket,,

it is possible for the head gasket to be blown from the cylinder to the water jacket,thus casing the compression to blow into the cooling system causing the pressure to equalize stopping the coolant from moving

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks i will try that and let you know and then i'll give the rating

you ar very welcome

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic