Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

1979 kawasaki kz400h, , have power to the points and have

Customer Question
replaced the coil, still no...
1979 kawasaki kz400h, , have power to the points and have replaced the coil, still no spark
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a motorcycle. The Motorcycle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: this bike sat for years, i cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, plugs are new , haven't changed point or condenser. a fiend of mine mentioned possibly magneto?
JA: Sometimes changing spark plugs can be a challenge -- more than a few things to consider. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hope to get it running, i'll try anything
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Motorcycle Mechanic should know about your motorcycle?
Customer: no , that pretty much sums it up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/28/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 1 year ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ?

This should have points and condenser and not a magneto ignition, do you have a multi-meter, if so unplug the yellow/red wire at the ignition coil and checked for DC voltage on that wire, let me know what you have ?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12vdc and other probe to find
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Other probe to ground

Yes that is correct, measure VDC at the yellow/red (+) positive meter lead, and the negative (-) meter lead to ground ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12 vdc

OK good, have you done anything with the points ? moving them for instance ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They open and close as you crank it over ,I haven't changed or adjusted them

OK good, lets try cleaning them, DO NOT loosen the screws on the plate or the points, you need to find the thinnest nail file, you might have to use a razor blade and split it in half, and then go to an auto parts store an grab a can of brake clean, (CRC) then use the nail file and you want to file each side of the points, (maybe 10-15 strokes back and forth) if you split the nail file in half then you'll need to flip it over so you can file both sides of the points, then with you finger hold the points open and spray then really good to get any of the file shavings out, you need to make sure there both sides of the points are clean. After you have filed then and cleaned them, then if you have compressed air blow it dry while holding the points apart from touching each other.

Next check for spark.

One other then is depending on the condenser and how old they can dry up inside and basically become ineffective and wont sure its purpose.

Let me know what happens

Thanks

Kenny

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try that tomorrow thanks

OK good

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
kenny , replaced the points and condenser, after no luck with cleaning the points. still no spark

OK, can you go through the process on the point and condenser replacement and setting the timing ?

Do you have a multi-meter ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I existing points and condenser and replaced them OEM Kawasaki parts,i did not move timing plate

OK, I need a few things from you, you need to answer all the questions I listed below !

• Do you have a multi-meter ?

Thanks

Kenny O.
Kenny O.