Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

2000 Polaris sportsman 4x4 rear brakes from hand brake but

Customer Question
good front brakes. Rear brakes...
2000 Polaris sportsman 4x4 rear brakes from hand brake but good front brakes. Rear brakes will work with foot brake. Have replaced rear shoes and bled brakes. Not sure what to do now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/25/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the issue here is the rear brakes will not work with the foot brake this may be an issue with the brake caliper(s) at fault here needing replaced.I have seen issues with these in the past before on some models needing replaced to correct this fault here.The brake system will need to be tested further to be sure this is the cause here and then from there the faulty component replaced or repaired to correct this issue.This is usually best done by a dealer or repair center that works on this model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The rear brakes work with the foot brake but will not work when the hand brake is applied. Only the front brakes will work on the hand brake.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself but someone else here may be able to assist further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi again Terry and welcome back to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Polaris.

Still, it would appear that the front and rear brakes operated separately hence would work as expected if using the front brake lever and the foot brake respectively but not the front lever engaging both the front & rear brakes at the same time. There does not seem to be a Polaris model with a combination brake system.

Louie, Technician