Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Christopher,I have a 2001 Honda rubicon with only 4500

Customer Question
Hi Christopher, I have a 2001...
Hi Christopher,
I have a 2001 Honda rubicon with only 4500 KM. I bough it knowing it had issues. First, the shifting lever was stuck in low gear. For that reason, the engine would turn over but didn't start. After getting the engine apart, I discovered someone had the engine apart and wasn't reassemble correctly. I washer was misplaced making it really hard to shift. I reassembled it correctly and now it's shift great and the engine now start like a Honda should. Then, I experienced multiple problem with the transmission hondamatic. To start, I couldn't get any response from the tranny. I retrieved the codes and going trough the shop manual, I found the control motor was shot. After replacing it, the angle sensor was showing to be bad. I put a new one on and it took care of that code as well. Finally the last code indicating was for the ecm. I just put a new one on and tried to perform the initial procedure. After pressing the shift switch up, down,up, I can hear the control motor operating and soon after, the"--" starts blinking along with the transmission selection. I tried it multiple time and I ways have the same result. I did notice when the motor is operating, a noise can be heard towards the end of travel. The sound is like the motor becomes under heavy load.
At this point, I am unsure what to do as the code and troubleshooting procedure keeps telling me replace the ecm. Do you have any idea?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/19/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. Inspect the wiring leading to and at the ecm as well as the control motor and see if any damaged or shorted wires or even corrosion is found needing to be repaired.If this is or has been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi pete. The wiring was all check at the beggining of the process. It was all visually, and after i proceed with checking every wire with a megger. They all check ok.
Unfortunately with my info being limited on this here I dont have any other advice or diagnostic info on this myself here but someone else here may have this info to help further.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician