Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1980 yamaha gt80 i replaced the piston and it didnt

Customer Question

hi i have a 1980 yamaha gt80 i replaced the piston and it didnt run very good at first and smoked but after putsing around a little it started running better and nearly quit smoking then it started runing bad again not wanting to start sometimes and if i do get it to start it dies when i give it throttle and its smoking again do you have any idea what it mite be?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.It sounds like a mechanical problem with the engine. Could you do a compression test on it and let me know what it has?Also, what oversize piston did you put in the cylinder, or did you get it bored to fit the new piston?Is it an OEM or after market piston and was it brand new?ThanksRSRBOB