Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 1995 suzuki gsxr 1100 when I installed the starter

Customer Question
relay and connected the battery...
I have a 1995 suzuki gsxr 1100 when I installed the starter relay and connected the battery. The bike kept cranking over without the key in the ignition.
Or how can I at least see if everything lights up without cranking the bike over?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/15/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 1 year ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
There are a few things that could produce that symptom. If the starter relay was not new, it could be "stuck" internally and creating a direct circuit from the battery to the starter motor. Make sure you have the battery cable on one side, the same side that has the smaller gauge wire on the post, and the cable for the starter motor on the other terminal. If you try to start a bike that has a battery with a very low state of charge, it can cause this symptom to occur. Make sure the battery is fully charged.If you want to just see the lights light up, disconnect the lead going to the starter motor and leave everything else connected and all the lights will work once the key is turned on. The headlight might be the exception to this because sometimes there is an AC sensing circuit that would require the bike to run to energize the headlight circuit.Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your response. I disconnected the cable from the relay going to starter motor. And plugged back the female connecter to the relay. Turned the key and the dash lights lit up and worked. Turned off the key and within a minute the starter relay was so hot is was burning the rubber holder and smoking? I don't understand I pretty much thought this would be plug and play. The battery is fully charged and I just bought the starter relay from armadillo cycles
Sounds like an internal short in the starter relay. Is it an aftermarket relay or OEM? If its an OEM, it sounds like it may be for a different model and it has the battery power lead going straight to ground, internally. Essentially, the terminals on the relay are not in the correct location for the wires they are connecting to on your harness. You have 2 options as I see it, rearrange the wires in your harness plug for the relay so they connect to the right terminals or send it back. Sending it back can be an issue because they don't usually offer returns on electrical parts. If it is the wrong part, say misidentified because it has the wrong part number, they might be more agreeable. It is not unheard of for parts to get bagged incorrectly. The part # ***** the bag/box is correct but the part inside is not. I do suppose you have a 3rd option, order another new relay and try it.Let me know how I can help!ThanksRSRBOB
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic