Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2005 Yamaha VStar 1100 classic. I have just replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Yamaha VStar 1100 classic. I have just replaced the clutch friction plates in it. I did adjust the clutch cable to between 1/8" and 3/16" space for play. When I went to take it on a test drive, I found it would only go into 1st and 2nd, but would seem to "seize up" on third. I check over everything I could think of, and on the third try of a test ride, it went easily into all the gears, but, on the same trip, when I slowed down and turned around, it went back into only being able to go in 1st and 2nd. Have any ideas what is causing this. Seems like it would be an easy fix
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rob my name is ***** ***** of questions first and as you answer back I will pull up the manual.How many miles on your bike currently ?Everything that you replaced besides the friction plates ?Was the outer (big) clutch basket was removed when you replaced the plates ?If the outer basket was removed, did you do anything with the shift shaft or any of that mechanism ?Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hey Rob, when you say "seize up" then you stated that " I check over everything I could think of" what did you recheck, did you go back into the clutch ?Thanks