Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I just purchased a used polaris sportsman 400 HO with low hrs.

Customer Question

I just purchased a used polaris sportsman 400 HO with low hrs. It runs fine, except occasionally at low speeds, while turning hard usually, it will stall. Then when you start it it will backfire. Any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matthew and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it would appear to be an electrical issue or more particularly, an intermittent/loose connector, a pinched wire or exposed wire touching frame ground. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to check the integrity of the wires and connectors to the handle bar switches. Of particular interest would be those to the ENGINE OFF/RUN switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That may explain the engine stopping but what about the backfire?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The back fire would be the ignition B+ coming back on resulting to a spark with the combustion chamber still filled with unburned air/gas mix.