Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I can get my 07 heritage softail to start after many many revolutions

Customer Question
,once running it runs...
I can get my 07 heritage softail to start after many many revolutions ,once running it runs fine or did any way .so i changed the volrage regulator ,the spark plugs the coil ,and the crank shaft position sensor .now it wont stay running ,it still takes for ever to start like it isnt getting any fire plus it isnt chargung at all .now ive had this starting issue for over a year now and finaly got the time to fix it and well now i cant get it to run right i start it and when it finally starts if i dont hold the throttle down it dies out ,plus if i have the positive cable taken off when idling at 2 to 3 k rpms it dies out like the charging system is bad .dont know what to think
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well when the problem started i took it to my nearest harley dealer and they had to replace the fly wheel and clutch ,and the problem stopped then one day i had a gard time starting it it would turn over many many times before it would run once running i could leave it idling and it would run fine only died out one time over 500 plus miles put on it after problem started .so when i started replacing parts hoping to remedy the problem it never went away .i was told to replace my ecm but when running it ran fine yntil yesterday when i replaced the voltage regulator and crankshaft sensor .now it wont stay runing when i finally get it started .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Motorcycle Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
4/18/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

I need more, specific information.

measure the battery terminal voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

- with the engine at about 2,000 rpm (fast idle).

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok un able to start bike ,purchased new battery it reads 12.45 volts ,old crankshaft sensor reads 946 ohms,old regulator rectifier reads 494,490,494 ohms ,i covered my bike with a tarp as i dont wabt the sun or rain to mess up my gauges .i am not a specialist in trouble shooting electrical problems ,how ever i have replaced the spark plugs ,spark plug wires ,the coil ,the voltage regulator and the crank shaft position sensor as well as the battery the only things i have not replaced are the ECM and the stator ,oh and replaced the starter the clutch and flywheel ,all fuses check out and have not messed with the ignition switch as it is working .i dont have any shorts in my lighting system no burned lights all guages work fine .the starter turns over fine engine turns over fine .because it takes so long to start it floods the bike and it is fuel injected .oh yeah when it was running it idled as tho it were out of timming reason for my changing the crankshaft position sensor .and the engine did run hot very hot as tho it were out of time ,i am told that there is no way for me to adjust the timming that is whay i looked into changing the crank shaft position sensor .the fuel pressure seems to be fine .before changing all the parts i changed the bike would like said take for ever to start but once it was running it ran with a little miss would get hot but never died out only once like in 500 miles or so .i really dont want to take it to a shop if i dont have to especially if it is something simple .i cant figure out why it takes for ever to start and once running it runs hot and misses just ever so slightly and at this point doesnt charge my battery .the control cluster on the hadle bars are spot on and instant no hesitation how ever it takes for ever to get it started .

I need more, specific information.

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i did as you asked ,battery is new 12.41,
Ignition in the off postion reads 12.39
Ignition in on position reads 11.93
Idling it reads 14.15
Fast idle reads 14.22 at 2000 rpms
When the engine has run for a litle while and the temperature reaches 150 degrees the engine idles down a bit and the battery cabels read 13.6 fast idle at 150degrees 2000 rpms reads 14.14. I turned the bike off then started it again and the idle was 13.4 at 1000 rpms fast idle was 13.7 at 2000 rpms then the volts began to move up and down sporadically between 13.6 volts and 13.7,whether it was idling or fast throttle it never went above 13.6.

your charging system has failed.

since you have changed the regulator, I suspect the stator.

the first thing I would like for you to do, though, is test the stator.

- disconnect the regulator from the stator plug.

- measure the resistance of each pin in the stator plug to ground. use the engine case as ground. use the highest ohm scale on the meter.

let me kn ow what you find.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok steve the stator is reading 053 in the first pin ,956 in the second pin ,and 975 in the third pin .

your stator is grounded.

replace the stator and repeat the battery voltage test.

let me know what you find.

Steve

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I havent been able to get to my harley to finish the job ,i lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident my sister was riding on the back of a bros hog and they were hit by a car as they were going through an intersection the car ran a red light she was thrown and run over by another car that was coming through we lost her instantly .so i have had to go to a funeral got back home had to go to a wedding ,i tell you this so you know that i havent been able to get back with you about the stator on my bike .i appreciate all your expert advice i couldnt have done what ive done on my bike with out you .as soon as i can get my stator i would like to go ahead and see this through and let you know how it turned out ,i believe that the starting issue will be solved once i change the stator .i will get back to you as soon as i get it and can replace it .please let me know where i go to leave positive feedback you are an awesome asset to the craft sir thank you .

sorry for your loss.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will steve as i said in the last message i have had alot to deal with and was stopped mid way in my work on my harley so i would love to get the stator pulled and replaced and get feed back from you on how my bike is supposed to run once ive remedied the problem .again thank you i am very greatful to you for your time and your expert help .

I am required to reply every time you respond.

no need to respond unless you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Steve i ordered a new stator it is the 3 phase 38 amp stator ,but after recieving my receipt for my purchase it showed that the stator is for a 2006 heritage softail ,man what do i do are the two years compatible? I am so sorry to bother you ..i also ordered the new gasket amd seal kit for the primary. I want to do this right and im not in a situation to take it to a shop im forced to do the work my self .

the stator for your bike is 30017-07.

that part was not available in 2006.

the 2006 stator part number is *****

you need the -07 part.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
even tho the stator is a 3 phase with the same plug in it will not work ? I ask this because i cant get ahold of any one at parts giant to cancell my order and i already paid for it .they dont inter change ?and if not why dont they inter change ?

if it's the same stator, with the same number of wires to the plug and the same plug, I'd use it. it's possible you got an early -07 which could have had -06 parts.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well ive emailed the company asking them to cancell my order ,i feel so embarrased, the stator plug looked exactly like my plug ,i havent taken the primary apart yet i was waiting till i had the gaskets and the stator before i tore into it .this is what happens when a man doesnt know what he is doing and i happen to be that man ,now i can take it apart but not knowing all the dooos and donts i make alot of mistakes and it is very costly for me .i am so sorry to have bothered you with all of this .basicaly what i wanted to know was ,is the inner diameter of the stators from both years the same ? Will the stator acually fit from a 2006 in a 2007 ? So i hope the partsgiant will call me and talk with me ,i feel helpless .not anyones fault but my own and again its a costly one .thank you for your patience and your expertise.

I don't know. I never tried to put a 06 stator on a 07.

Harley DID make significant changes in 07, so I wouldn't take it for granted.

I know they make stators for 01-06, 07 and 08-10.

I wouldn't try.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Steve
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic