TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

2000 honda goldwing bought yesterday started fine yesterday

Customer Question

2000 honda goldwing bought yesterday started fine yesterday 33000 miles started fine last night after bike this morning it started up and died restarted and died again started annd hit choke it went up to 3500 rpm ran and held it then came down and died started again and died gave it throttle before i started it again and now it just turns over sometimes almost starts but will not start now???? any ideas
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anyone here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anyone alive
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Based on the description of the problem it sounds a fuel delivery issue. You can try spraying some starting fluid in the air intake or repeatedly pumping the throttle to make the accelerator pump squirt additional fuel into the manifold. If the engine starts and runs monetarily then you have confirmed a fuel delivery problem. The next step would be to inspect the condition of the inside of the fuel tank. If it does no show ay sign of rust then try replacing the fuel filter and see if it makes any difference in the running condition. If that does not fix the problem then the next step would be to remove, disassemble and inspect the carbs.Please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can always post a reply back to this question if you need more help with this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok great where is the fuel filter and air intake located this bike is very new to me
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to a parts diagram for the fuel lines:http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=384&b=49&c=0&d=-FUEL-TANKThe filter is #2. As I recall it is located under the cover over the fuel filler cap. The air intake is located just behind the steering top bridge.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to a parts diagram for the top shelter.http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=384&b=47&c=0&d=-SHELTERThe air intake is located under the ignition lock cover which is removed by pulling straight up an off, #24. You also need to remove the two side covers #27,28 by unhooking the tabs starting from the rear.Please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can always post a reply back to this question if you need more help with this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sprayed some carb cleaner on the carbs and it fired up and now it's running in pretty sure it is going to need carb cleaning but I am going to try to spray a whole can in the carbs and see if that does the trick first
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
That will not work. The carbs need to be disassembled, soaked in a commercial grade of carb cleaner, rinsed, blow dried, all jets probed with the correct size wire drill to ensure there is no blockage, reassembled with new gaskets, fuel mixture screws set and throttle plates synchronized.Please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can always post a reply back to this question if you need more help with this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changing spark plugs as well
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Good idea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It fired right up this morning carbs need sync going to go get that done then I think I'll be good
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
Please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you.