Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2004 honda rancher 400 at that will not shift, i…

Customer Question
i have a 2004 honda...
i have a 2004 honda rancher 400 at that will not shift, i reiniatlized the system and the shift motor does not seem to spin, can anyone help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/19/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Nick and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done)

1. • check/ replace the shift control motor fuse;
  2. • determine battery voltage when:
  • ignition OFF - 12.7V is good;
  • and then when ON - 12.5 is good;
  • when starting the engine - 11.0V is good;
  • engine at idle - 12.9V is good;
  • when attempting to rev the engine - 14.5V is good.
hi louie, Voltage is fine, i have no power to the shift motor whatsoever, the fuse is good, there is no power on the green and orange wires coming out the cdi box, should there be a 5volts to that or no? please help thanks again!

Appreciate the post back.

Does the neutral indicator lights up correctly/as expected?

Still, let's try going back to basics; were you able to run diagnostic?

how do you do that? and yes the neutral indicator is lit up, when the key is turned on, esp and -- symbol show up,it flashes 6 times, i just replaced the angle sensor because that is what code six calls for i believe, how do you run dignostics?

Bear with me and let's go back to "...green and orange wires..." To my recollection, the green wire on a Honda almost always is tied to ground hence no voltage would be as expected. On the other hand, the orange wire to the shift motor would only be present when attempting to shift. This motor would also go CW and CCW thus the orange wire wire would not always be a +V. With this in mind, there would be another wire to the shift motor but not green.

Please re-check.

And do you have an electronic copy of the Service Manual?

Apologies for delays; Internet is sluggish if at all available while mobile.

i do not have a service manual for this machine no, and there are ony two wires not three

Could the other wire to the shift motor perhaps be a green/red?

green with a red tracer

The pure green wire is tied to ground.

These orange and green/red wires provide voltage to the shift motor BUT changes polarity; i.e. to be able to turn the motor clockwise and counter-clockwise to perform the shifting.

When testing for voltage, test between these 2 wires, orange and green/red not to ground nor the green wire and only when attempting to shift.

louie there is only two wires to the shift motor, an orange a green with a red tracer

I understand Nick. Please re-confirm that there is no measurable voltage between these 2 wires (orange & green/red) when attempting to shift.

• If no voltage, then check red/yellow wire to the ECM for presence of IGN +12V
  • If voltage present when attempting to shift, disconnect the shift motor connector and measure the resistance of the shift motor.
What should the resistance of the motor be?

Very low Ω with the value varying depending on the condition of the carbon brushes and commutator segments. Equally important is that this measured resistance should not change (much) as the motor is manually turned.

hey louie, just getting back to this project its been a long week, when i put the machine in tot he relearn mode for the angle sensor i have voltage at the shift motor but nothing if i just put it in gear and try to shift, i believe its some kind of safety device this way you cant shift it if the angle sensor is out of adjustment, furthermore the motor only has resistance of 2.5ohms i didnt take it off to manually spin the motor

Appreciate the post back Nick.

"...some kind of safety device this way you cant shift it if the angle sensor is out of adjustment..."; agree BUT for it not to shift, then there should be NO "...voltage at the shift motor..."

Even if the angle sensor is off adjustment, the mere presence of voltage should cause the motor to partially spin and therefore shift.

What is the value of the "...voltage at the shift motor..."?

And is this voltage ONLY present when attempting to shift?