Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

06 harley deuce..has a skip between 30-45 mph. I'm running…

Customer Question
06 harley deuce..has a skip...
06 harley deuce..has a skip between 30-45 mph. I'm running 93 octane....it skips then kinda spits ????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
The bike is fuel injected..it has Vance not Hines pipes and a screaming eagle air filter
3/13/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

the "spit" is a lean mis-fire.

if you did not have the engine dyno tuned after installing the V&H pipes and the SE air cleaner, you need to have that done now. those two alterations will result in a lean air/fuel ratio and a lean mis-fire.

if you did tune the engine after installing the pipes and intake, the two most common things that can cause a lean mis-fire are:

- leaking intake seals.

- low fuel pressure.

you can have the fuel pressure measured at any dealership. it is a cheap, quick test.

you can check for intake seal leaks by spraying carb cleaner on the intake seals with he engine at idle. you will know right away if you have a leak.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

What about adding a fuel tuner.i don't think the previous owner put one on after adding the pipes and air cleaner..What would you recomend?
Ok Steve.I just took the seat off..it has a Dino Jrt Commander 3...of course no paperwork.should I bring it to a dealer or attempt to adjust myself.i might be able to download the instructions.TY.Charleu
Charley
.lol

you really have nothing to adjust without knowing what the air/fuel ratios are.

I would take what you have to a place that is capable of tuning the engine on a dyno.

I always preferred doing it on a dyno with an EGA (exhaust gas analyzer). it takes the guess work out.

your engine should be tuned to an EGA of 13.9:1 across the rpm range.

that information should be printed on your dyno chart.

make sure you get what you pay for.

Steve

Thanks Steve .gonna call the shop mon.see what they say.

in the mean time, check for intake leaks. a can of carb cleaner is cheap and if you have leaks, they need to be fixed before you tune!

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve