Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Shaffer 03 polaris predator 500 no power to the lights

Customer Question

shaffer 03 polaris predator 500 no power to the lights neural light or the start switch not sure what it is just put another wiring harness on and changed the magnetic switch by the battery if you use a jumper wire on the magnetic switch to the hot wire on the battery it will turn over and the lights come on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it has new battery and starter all connections are clean cleaned with contact cleaner I'm thinking it may be the voltage regulator under the battery or the black box on the left side not sure what it's called
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Motorcycle Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please post back with clear pictures of the "... magnetic switch..." / starter relay and the bog cables to its 2 large terminals.

Still, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to confirm that the battery cable is connected to the big B terminal of the starter relay while the cable to the starter motor would be to the M terminal. If unmarked, then try to swap how the battery cable and the starter cable are connected to the 2 big terminals of the starter relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is connected correctly there's just a fuse or relay bad somewhere
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The starter relay also serves as the main fuse and distribution for the B+ hence it would have to be re-checked. The battery cable goes to a big terminal of the starter relay and supplies +12 to the starter motor when this relay engages. it also provides the always +12 to the main fuse.

Bear with me and consider / try the terminal connection swapping. This would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.