Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I just bought a 1974 Yamaha R D 350 been sitting out in

Customer Question
weather since 1989.its pretty rough...
I just bought a 1974 Yamaha R D 350 been sitting out in weather since 1989.its pretty rough got it to turn over have no spark it has duel points & 1 condenser with a wire coming out of each end .when i turn ignition on i have power to points & both ends of condenser is this normal? Thanks Ralph
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/11/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic

The points should spark if you open and close them with key on.

If they spark then the spark should also show up on the spark plug wire.

The points have to be clean, flat and set to open about .014"

on the highest point of the cam that opens them.

They should also close okay. They are also set to break open

just when the pistons are near the top or about 2 millimetres

before the top. The gap can be adjusted a bit to get this timing set.

Check for spark with the plug caps on and off.

There are two coils so one at least should spark if you get the points set.