Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have an Artic Cat 90 ATV less than a year old that won't…

Customer Question
I have an Artic Cat...
I have an Artic Cat 90 ATV less than a year old that won't accept full throttle in neutral or continue moving forward or reverse when in gear
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/11/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic

It sounds like it might be the electric choke not closing properly.

They have a plunger that closes electrically but maybe the wire

is off or the choke unit is faulty on the carburetor.

It is choking out the engine with too much fuel.

If this is the problem the spark plug will be very black and maybe

even sooty.

----

When I cover the intake passage to the air filter I can go full throttle. I actually duct taped 3/4 of the intake and the ATV runs fine. I don't believe it is the choke. I heard the bike transition from startup to normal operation.

It sounds like it is lacking fuel probably due to plugged

main jet in the carbs center. Cleaning the carb and checking

the fuel supply to the carb will probably fix it.

When you block the air intake it gets more fuel through the increased vacuum created. Check the carb jet for obstructions and get back to me if necessary. Tank has to be vented to allow fuel to flow.

This vent is usually in the fuel cap.

Let me know what you find.

---

Carb pdf: