Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 1995 zx600 and the the timing chain is dead center

Customer Question
of the engine after we...
I have a 1995 zx600 and the the timing chain is dead center of the engine after we put it back together and put camshafts and camshaft holders back on and try to turn the crank it only turns maybe a quarter turn or less and than wont turn anymore we can't figure it out
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/8/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 1 year ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi Nathan, my name is Kenny

Need a few questions answered first,

1. What was the engine apart for ? please explain if something blew up what it was ?
  2. If any hard parts were replaced, what were they and please specify if they were original parts or aftermarket ?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The engine was apart because # ***** piston broke had a tiny metal fragment missing still ran while it was messed up. Replaced # ***** piston all original parts the timing chain will turn when camshafts are not on engine

OK I will need the VIN number so I get the correct model, is the he engine currently together ?

OK so what all was replaced, please be specific every part (except gaskets and seals obviously)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the #4 piston was replaced along with gaskets and seals the vin number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's the number on the engine it was a replacement engine for the bike

Need VIN # ***** you have that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Vin on the bike is JKAZX4E17SB509337

Thanks Nathan, I have to step out tonight, I will pick it up in the morning

Thanks

Kenny

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any idea what's going on with it

So lets make sure on the same page, with the cams out the crankshaft turns over fine, correct ?

If that is correct then that's telling me that you have an issue with either the cam shaft journals in the head or something happened with that cam, when this thing blew up was the RPM's high or was the engine turning relatively slow ? Also you might have got some material in the primary drive (crank and outer clutch basket) and it damaged some teeth on the primary drive ?

Did you inspect that closely ?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe it's just out of timing I don't remember how many links are supposed to be between the cam gears

I can send you that, give me about 20 minutes, I will work up a PDF for you ?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks and an you add anything that goes for camshafts links between cam shaft gears and all that I appreciate it

Here you go, this bike also has an outstanding Recall on the drive chain, if its the original you can likely get a free chain, take it to your dealer.

Let me know of you need anything else !

Thanks

http://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVbGtKY3lUWUR2WnRVag

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What was the recall on the drive chain for?

Defective chains, they could possibly break, bring it to your Kawasaki dealer and tell them you understand there might be a recall on this unit that is out standing, see what happens !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanls

Welcome !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We tried that the cams turned a little then stopped some of the calves are depressed but they won't move down any further

OK, you did something, by any chance when you have this engine apart did you remove the sprockets from the camshaft when you rebuilt this engine ?

Kenny O.
Kenny O.