Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 1995 zx600 and the the timing chain is dead center

Customer Question

I have a 1995 zx600 and the the timing chain is dead center of the engine after we put it back together and put camshafts and camshaft holders back on and try to turn the crank it only turns maybe a quarter turn or less and than wont turn anymore we can't figure it out
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nathan, my name is Kenny

Need a few questions answered first,

1. What was the engine apart for ? please explain if something blew up what it was ?
  2. If any hard parts were replaced, what were they and please specify if they were original parts or aftermarket ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine was apart because # ***** piston broke had a tiny metal fragment missing still ran while it was messed up. Replaced # ***** piston all original parts the timing chain will turn when camshafts are not on engine
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK I will need the VIN number so I get the correct model, is the he engine currently together ?

OK so what all was replaced, please be specific every part (except gaskets and seals obviously)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the #4 piston was replaced along with gaskets and seals the vin number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the number on the engine it was a replacement engine for the bike
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Need VIN # ***** you have that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin on the bike is JKAZX4E17SB509337
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nathan, I have to step out tonight, I will pick it up in the morning

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea what's going on with it
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

So lets make sure on the same page, with the cams out the crankshaft turns over fine, correct ?

If that is correct then that's telling me that you have an issue with either the cam shaft journals in the head or something happened with that cam, when this thing blew up was the RPM's high or was the engine turning relatively slow ? Also you might have got some material in the primary drive (crank and outer clutch basket) and it damaged some teeth on the primary drive ?

Did you inspect that closely ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it's just out of timing I don't remember how many links are supposed to be between the cam gears
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I can send you that, give me about 20 minutes, I will work up a PDF for you ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and an you add anything that goes for camshafts links between cam shaft gears and all that I appreciate it
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Here you go, this bike also has an outstanding Recall on the drive chain, if its the original you can likely get a free chain, take it to your dealer.

Let me know of you need anything else !

Thanks

http://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVbGtKY3lUWUR2WnRVag

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What was the recall on the drive chain for?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Defective chains, they could possibly break, bring it to your Kawasaki dealer and tell them you understand there might be a recall on this unit that is out standing, see what happens !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanls
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried that the cams turned a little then stopped some of the calves are depressed but they won't move down any further
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, you did something, by any chance when you have this engine apart did you remove the sprockets from the camshaft when you rebuilt this engine ?