Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Was out riding and all of a sudden my 2004 Sportster1200…

Customer Question
Was out riding and all...
Was out riding and all of a sudden my 2004 Sportster1200 starts popping and the electrical things start flashing. I start to pull over and it died. No power to any thing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/5/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: P.J., Technician replied 2 years ago
P.J.
P.J., Technician

The most common problem on that era of Sportster is a bad ignition switch. It isn't too hard to diagnose but requires a volt meter to do so. I can help you with that if you want to try it yourself. A good "key wiggle" can sometimes get you going again in the short term. The internal contacts get worn and burned causing it to stop passing power properly.

A new switch is available in the aftermarket for about $35.

I hope this helps. If so, please leave a Positive Rating for my service. Thanks, P.J.

Thanks

You're welcome, take care. P.J.