Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1882 yamaha maxim xj550. I am trying to get it

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 1882...
Hi, I have a 1882 yamaha maxim xj550. I am trying to get it ready to ride for the summer and ran into a problem. I can start it, and I can shift gears. I can rev the throttle and the engine responds, but when I put it in first gear and hit the throttle, there is no forward motion. When I put the bike on the stand and repeat the process, the back wheel turns very quickly, but when I put wieght on the wheel, it stops right away. I can shift through all the gears and I feel it shift each time, and the wheel gets faster while on the stand, but there still is no forward power. Any suggestions? My manuel doesn't say anything about something like this, I have checked several times.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/4/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic

Your clutch plates are slipping. This could be caused due to weak clutch springs, worn plates, or your clutch cable is sticking, holding pressure on the springs. If this was not an issue when placed in storage, I would inspect the cable first.

Any progress?

Have you had a chance to look at the bike?