Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

When I begin to ridge my 2008 street glide when I down shift…

Customer Question
Hello, When I begin to ridge...
When I begin to ridge my 2008 street glide when I down shift to first gear the bike will sometimes go to neutral while other times he will work just find. Another example, I tap on the downshift trying to get into 1st gear and sometimes the bike lands in neutral.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
3/1/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

the shift mechanism is catching on the neutral detent.

when shifting to first, ensure that you push the shift lever past the neutral detent, all the way to 1st gear.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

I always downshift properly. What do you see as secondary option because that answer to doesn't to be correct. That would imply some sort rider error.Eric

my answers are never incorrect.

if you are shifting properly and your clutch is properly adjusted, the transmission will not drop into neutral when shifting into 1st.

let me know if you need instructions for properly adjusting the clutch.

Steve

I will ride the bike again before going the clutch adjustment route to make sure and follow up with you. its about the rain here in Los Angeles so give me a day to get back to you.

are you sure?

because if you are shifting correctly, as you say, the only other possible cause of your symptoms are a mis-adjusted clutch.

the whole job, with clutch cable lube, takes less than 30 minutes.

Steve

steve,I wanted to follow up on this and hope that you can answer my question because this is an ongoing problem. The clutch has been adjusted and we still have the same issue. On downshifting at a stop light, the bike will somethings land in neutral. Then if I keep kicking aggressively or if I kick the rear upshift control, the bike will get into first gear. The bike shits great between 2-6.

- "kicking aggressively" will result in damage to the shift linkage, shift drum and forks. NEVER do that. you may already have caused damage. this may be why you are having the problems you are having.

- shifting the heel shifter can not possibly shift the transmission onto 1st from any gear. it is physically impossible. but "kicking" the heel shifter can cause damage to the shift linkage and, in extreme cases, may result in the transmission ratcheting into 1st gear.

- based on what you pave posted, I believe you have damaged the shift linkage. the only thing I can recommend at this point is to take the bike to a shop and have a technician test ride the bike to determine the best course of action.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

I will take you advice and take the bike to a shop. I meant to say that when I use the heal shifter, the gears loosen up and I am then able to downshift into 1st gear with no problems. The aggressive kicking is currently required "sometimes" to get into 1st gear. Thanks,

let me know what he tells you.

Steve