Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a 00 Honda Shadow VT600 that i just rebuilt the engine…

Customer Question
have a 00 Honda Shadow...
have a 00 Honda Shadow VT600 that i just rebuilt the engine and once again the engine will slow down and then stop right when i and on the freeway or just going 10 blocks away from home. when i pushed it home and tried to start it , it started right up.
Cleaned the carbs and new fuel lines on it now.
did replace the cut and plugged #10 vacuum line on carb.
cleaned pepcock.
adjust valves to specs. have spark when tested.
this was doing it before rebuild also. and still doing it now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/29/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi Stosh, my name is ***** ***** you says it slows down and then the engine just quits, when you attempt to restart the engine, what does it do, does it appear to be turning over slowly or do you feel it turns over normal ?

Can you explain what you did on the engine rebuild ? and how many miles since it was rebuilt, was it doing this before the rebuild ?

Thanks

Kenny

some times it does not turn over, and last time i waited to get home to try to start it and it did right away.

Could you please answer all my questions ?

Thanks

it was doing it before rebuild and now after, replaced crank shaft and rocker arms as front rocker arm bearing sleeve was almost gone. damaged crack shaft as well. replaced and all with in spec in service manual.
in apt and bike in garage. can't remember miles on it right off hand
it idles fine for a long time.
just rebuilt the engine this week

So in your opinion its doing the exact same thing as before the rebuild ?

OK on the mileage for right now.

What we need to first determine if the engine is locking up ?

Is this unit loosing spark ?

Is there an issue with carburation ?

So you say that after it quits it doesn't what to turn over, but after it seems to cool down then it will ?

Getting to your idling comment, most engine will even if there is a problem as the engine is not under a load and its not getting the engine up to its normal operating temperature

OK, who rebuilt this engine ? was it you ? or did you have a shop rebuild it ?

Also what part of the country are you in ?

Thanks

i rebuilt it and have done so on other bikes, but this one has given me a headache,
i am in CA. long beach,
as far as i can tell the engine is not locking up.
like it seems to have now power when it dies at times.
cleaned the carbs but did not fully rebuild it.
i have rebuilt volcans, cb750,gs500,cb125S,CR480, ect.
in putting it back together i found one wire from statar to regulator had melted in plastic connector, pulled it and reconnected wire. ran test and charging at 14.5 volts
buying a repair kit for carb this week and going to full rebuild it, soak it in carb cleaner for 2 days, them boil it for a hour or 2, then cblow out all holes and tubes with compressed air. then clean with carb cleaner and rebuild it.
are you still there

OK, well we need to figure out where to start. If you are not 100% sure there is a engine issue, get a clean pan, and drain the oil, inspect the oil just to rule that out, if you have a clean pan then you can dump it back in the engine, no sense in wasting good oil.

Second, you'll need to ride the bike, I have a timing light that I have used in the past, where I have hooked it up and drove the bike with the timing light on, then when the engine start to act up you can actually observe the light and watch for any inconsistencies, that would indicate you have a spark issue ?

This is likely a California model as your location, so if its running the charcoal canister then you might have an issue on the vent line ? This model also has a pet-cock but also utilizes a vacuum control for shutting fuel flow off to the carb, I have seen those in the past act up and limit fuel flow.

Lastly if you have a second key, put it in the fuel cap, when riding and the unit start to act up then pop the cap, if its a venting problem then likely the bike will pick up and go, I have seen that the reeds in the fuel cap get stuck from unstable fuel and that don't open, you could have something going on in the cap.

I'm giving you something's to try so I can start my thought process as to what direction, as I right now we haven't ruled anything out.

So you might have to try this tomorrow and then get back to me, I'm in South OC

Thanks

OK well the stator wires (3) that is for charging, make sure that you get those connection real positive, if not they will build heat and melt again, 14.5 says that the stator and the regulator/rectifier is doing its job, that is likely not causing your problem as the voltage is not falling below 10 VDC, I think you are OK with that, mileage on this bike would tell me that maybe you have a pulser coil failing, as you have a symptom of the engine getting hot and then the AC voltage that is produced by the pick-up coil is falling off and then the ignition is dying, that is what I suggest the timing light, or of you don't have that, when the engine does if you can get the plug(s) fairly easy then check it right there?

So depending what you come up with then we can mover forward from there

Thanks

thanks will try them and let you know how it goes,
the guy i bought it from had the #10 vacuum line cut and plugged. i replaced the line and reconnected it to the right fitting.
took some time to find out what he did.
changed temp censer and cooling fan censer as well as thermostat in it thinking it was a temp problem
it does have a charcoal canister.
have timing gun and volt meter and charging meter as well

It sounds like a vent problem, so many California bike owner insist that they disconnect the "California emissions" thinking that the bike will run better, but what they end up doing is messing things up causing runnibility issues. So I urge you to go over that stuff and just look for pinched or kinked lines.

Good, try that timing light trick, that will eliminate the ignition system if there is a problem going on there.

Thanks Stosh, get back to me when you can, I will be on and off tomorrow, if I don't get right back it will be later, just post up what you have or if you have any questions

Kenny

night, will do

You to Buddy !