Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

1980 ct70 runs well short while then cuts out and restarts…

Customer Question
1980 ct70 runs well for...
1980 ct70 runs well for a short while then cuts out and restarts after sitting or cooling .i thought it was the fuel cap vent and removed the cap completly,still does it.is there something in the electrics that can cut out when it warms up?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is***** need you to see if its loosing spark, so if you can you need to determine if the spark is going away or miss firing, if you have a timing light you can use it as a spark tester, and or get it hot and I it quits, then pull the spark and lay it on the head to see if the spark is there or if you can see some inconsistencies when turning over the engine and observing the spark plug.

Likely that is the issue, then once we determine that then we can move forward, but there are other possibilities, but I would first rule out if its an ignition issue.

Thanks

sorted out my bike,put an inline spark illuminator on the plug lead and confirmed that it still had power to it after bike cut out,that narrowed it down to the carby and i tried another on it and it was fine.
Thanks

Awesome, it really makes it easier when diagnosing, when you can eliminate certain areas !

Thanks for the feedback !

Kenny

Kenny O.
Kenny O.