Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 2011 Suzuki M109R and it won't start. It was

Customer Question

Hi, I am Charlie. I have a 2011 Suzuki M109R and it won't start. It was working and i rode it for a while before i loaded it on the truck to bring it with me to MD. once i got here same day, bike would not start. lights came on and i went to hit the start button and everything died. i thought it was odd but thought that battery might have died due to the weather. since it was cold outside and i drove 200 miles.so i charged the battery and tried to start the bike next day and no start. Lights came on and bike made constant click click click.... noise and lights went away. it was odd, so i went got my multimeter to check the battery charge and it was sitting at 12.5-12.8 which i believe is pretty close to good. so i turned the ignition switch on while i had the mulitmeter on the battery and watched battery go down to almost 2.5. so i charged the battery for a day and tried to start the bike. well now lights wont come on at all
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Charlie, my name is Kenny

Charlie first off I think your battery is no good, part of one of my test for checking the battery is, first give the battery a proper charge and measure the voltage as you did, then with meter still hooked up to the battery, turn the key on, then third test with meter still hooked up attempt to start the machine.

So in your case your baseline voltage is 12.5-12.8

Key on you should get about a .5 at the most drop

Last when attempting to start usually 10.0-11.0 VDC while starting

With a voltage of almost 10 VDC with just turning on the battery tells me the battery is no good.

Now I also think that you blew your main fuse, the main fuse is located on the starter solenoid, follow the positive lead from the battery to the starter solenoid, on the solenoid you'll find a 30 amp fuse, I believe you blew that fuse and that is likely from trying to start it with a defective battery. So a marginal battery when transporting from being jarred can internally short, also a battery that is on its way out, yes will be effective by the cold.

Also after getting a new battery, check all the main battery wires to make sure that the mounting points are clean and tight on both ends including the ground wire to the engine !

Let me know of this helps or you have any further questions.

Thanks Charlie

Kenny