Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2000 Polaris 500 that's getting a good spark brand…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Polaris 500 that's getting a good spark brand new carb and I know it's getting fuel and it's got 120 pounds of compression but it won't crank for nothing just back fires out of the intake just like a v8 does when it's 180 out on its timing

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It won't crank and it's got compression fuel and a spark

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/23/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, consider (re-)starting back with the basics on the issue of "...won't crank..."; inspect the battery, fusible links and ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration.

Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Locate with the starter solenoid. To locate the starter solenoid, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter solenoid. Jump the 2 big terminals of the starter solenoid. If it still will not crank, then possibly a cable and/or terminal fault or in some instances, a starter motor issue.

If it will crank and have spark, then wet the sparkplug tip with raw fuel. Attempt to start again.

It turns over just fine but even when I retro pull start it I can't get it to crank I hook my 1700 amp jump box to it and still it just makes it turn over faster but it still won't change anything it never even acts like it wants to hit or anything

What happens if "...wet the sparkplug tip with raw fuel..." ?

Is there suction at the carb mouth when attempting to start?