RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

Yamaha 650 v star custom is idling and running rough. What

Customer Question

Yamaha 650 v star custom is idling and running rough. What could be the cause
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** an I speaking to ?

• Can I get the current mileage
  • Has the bike been sitting, if so how long ?
  • And brief description of the current service records ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought the bike. It has 3500 miles on on it. I do not have service records
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Please answer all my questions, do you have any idea if the bike sat while it was in the other persons hand and also you ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenny I answered all the questions I had answer to. I would think through commen sense a six year old bike was not rode a lot .
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Well I'm not going to guess, as I don't consider when I trying to help someone with a problem, that doesn't work for me, so I will opt out and maybe one of the other experts try to guess what wrong with your bike.

Thanks

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

If your bike is a 2009 and only has 3500 miles on it, the carbs are more than likely clogged up. It has obviously been sitting quite a bit to be going on 7 years old and have such low mileage. Do you want to attempt to clean the carbs yourself or would you rather not tackle it?

Let me know,

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably not
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

I completely understand. It can be a bit involved plus require some special equipment to complete the job properly. At this point I would find a reputable repair facility and take it to them fora diagnosis and estimate. I would expect them to diagnose it as needing a carb clean. Typically there are no parts involved, but there is always a chance. You also want to hear them tell you that they intend to synchronize the carbs upon re-installation. Sync is a critical step to ensuring the engine idles smoothly and accelerates properly. Lastly, unless you are in California or another state that monitors emissions, they should drill the plugs over the idle mixture screws, remove them to clean those passages as well and re-set them slightly richer than they came from the factory, about 1/2 turn richer. With that adjustment, the bike should start easier, warm up quicker and accelerate better.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks

RSRBOB