Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Suzuki Intruder 800, 2002 model. I am replacing the…

Customer Question
I have a Suzuki Intruder...
I have a Suzuki Intruder 800, 2002 model. I am replacing the bulb in the front turn signals. I have bought a replacement but the bulb glows "dull" when not in use. When I go to hit the turn signal it works but the bulb never fully shuts off. Thought maybe it was a switch or ground. Then swapped bad bulb to the other turn signal and problem followed the bulb. Tried to buy a new turn signal bulb but the replacement also glowed no matter which side I installed it in. Ran a continuity check on the bulb and found the bulb is not connected on one side. Is this a normal set up for Suzuki on older bikes, never saw anything like this before?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/20/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician

Hi and thank you for your question.

I have seen similar problems in the past.

My first suggestion, since the problem follows the bulb, is make sure the bulb is not installed 180 degrees out. Being a dual element bulb, the pins on the side of the base are going to be at different heights. Take a good close look at the socket for the bulb and notice the cut outs on the sides of the socket. One is much higher than the other. The higher, or closest to the top, is going to be for the pin that is closest to the glass dome of the bulb. Since the other bulb from the opposite side works normally, it is definitely the bulb. If the bulb is not installed 180 degrees out, the bulb itself is defective and should be replaced (warrantied) with a new bulb.

Again, the bike's electrical system is ok if the one known good bulb works for both the left and right side turn signals.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

RSRBOB

RSRbob,Yeah the only problem now is finding a replacement for the bulb. The supposed OEM distributors have no idea what it is and the online parts houses have part numbers that do not match the bulb. I bought one recently from Bike Bandit that was supposed to be an OEM replacement but the bulb did not even have the correct contact and pin configuration. Any ideas on where to go for a replacement bulb. This is not just a standard turn signal bulb. It has two contacts on the bottom with no continuity between them. One contact has continuity tot eh case around the base of the bulb and the other has an open circuit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It should be an 1157 bulb, which is nothing special. I can't imagine this being anything but routine.

Let's go at it from a different angle however and do some diagnostics first.

What I would like you to do is to take voltage readings off of each of the 2 center contacts. One with the key one, your black meter lead grounded and touching each terminal in the socket for the bulb, then turn that side turn signal on and check the voltage.

You should get battery voltage on one terminal all the time with the key on, and get the intermittent battery voltage on the other terminal as the flasher sends volts to it. Now to confirm what you are seeing, do the same tests on the other front turn signal and compare the results left to right.

Lastly, if you look at the metal base to the bulb, it should have a 4 digit code on it which identifies it. Check the code on the bulb that works correctly.

Let me know what you find on that and we can go from there.

Thanks,

RSRBOB