Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2003 883 XHL sportster and I want to remove the…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 883...
I have a 2003 883 XHL sportster and I want to remove the catalytic converter which I believe is underneath the frame near the back wheel. There are two lines running to it which state (carb & tank). I"m replacing the stock tank with an after market tank which does not have what I believe is a breather tube like the original one. Do I just remove the converter and plug the line that states carb. This is a California bike and are there any concerns in doing this.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/18/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

that is not a catalytic converter. it is a vapor recovery system.

- ensure you new fuel tank is vented. if it doesn't have a vent fitting, it must have a vented cap.

- remove the vacuum line from the vapor recovery tank at the carb and cap the fitting with a proper vacuum cap.

that is all you have to do. some people want to completely remove the canister, which would require you to remove the hose at the air cleaner and cap that fitting, then remove the canister and all hoses.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve