Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I recently bought a 94 Polaris Indy 500 classic efi and

Customer Question
can't get it running properly...
I recently bought a 94 Polaris Indy 500 classic efi and can't get it running properly I'm wondering if the problem is that I have 100 psi compression in both cylinders
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/15/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

a 100 psi reading is pretty low so that certainly won't help

have you tried adding a little engine oil to each cylinder and repeating the measurement?

as if the compression pressure leaps up then you know its an issue with the bore and piston rings

if it stays low with oil then you know its the valves not sealing

so if thats what you get its worth pulling the cylinder head off and replacing the valves and lapping them in to repair any damage to the valve seats