Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

My Polaris indy 500 runs great with the airbox off. If I put…

Customer Question
My Polaris indy 500 runs...
My Polaris indy 500 runs great with the airbox off. If I put it back on, the sled will bog out and hardly move. The air box is completely clean (no critters). It is probably running rich because the air is restricted. It runs out great without the box on. It has a brand new fuel pump. Not sure how to remedy this situation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
2/4/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you havent yet I would check and see if there are any issues with the location of where the air box is mounted on your vehicle here to see if there are any restrictions with the air flow coming into the air box.I have seen issues with damaged baffles or issues with nests or debris in the air inlet to the air box cause this fault here.If this is or has already been checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks for the response. The air box is completely clean......no critter nests or anything. It is very easy to split the air box in half and check for debris....already did that. No issue there. I am thinking this is a jetting or air screw issue....or something like that. This will probably take a tech who is very familiar with this specific sled.

O.k.,if there are no issues with air intake flow I suspect you are correct as this may be an issue with an air screw that isnt set properly.I dont have the specifics on this model unfortunately on the locations for these or their adjustments but this does need checked into further to see if one needs adjusted or replaced to correct this here.This is usually best done by a repair facility that works on this model here or dealer repair center as they will have the correct info on how this is adjusted or set.They may also check other components like fuel intake to make sure this isnt an issue at idle.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete