Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I am ***** *****
, my bike stay all winter in the

Customer Question
Hi steve , i...

Hi steve , i am ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My bike stay all winter in the garage and and bad petcock leaking issu so far i changed the petcock and flush the oil from oil tank because was full of gas. but on the top of that i have no spark, and changed the coil pack, but still no spark

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/31/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

what is the MAKE, MODEL and YEAR of the motorcycle?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

883 sportster year 2000

measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find.

Steve

i get a jumper cable connected to the the battery

remove the jumper cable.

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find.

Steve

i have a spark plug off the engine and on the ground to check spark and nothing

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find.

Steve

i dont have a voltmeter here , but voltage wont be the issue with a jumper cable on top off the battery

that is incorrect.

if you cannot provide voltage measurements, I can't help you.

there are any number of reasons for a NO SPARK condition.

a systematic approach to troubleshooting is the only reasonable way to determine why you have no spark.

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find.

Steve

ok tanks steve but that doesn't help me at all,and of course i'm not satisfied.

you didn't give me any usable information.

there is no way for me to help you.

if you can find a way to make the voltage measurements, get back to me and we can continue.

Steve