Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Baught new battery gsxr bike turns off about a mile and the…

Customer Question
Baught new battery for my...
Baught new battery for my gsxr bike turns off about a mile and the battery is drained
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/27/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi Demetrius, my name is ***** ***** have one hell of a draw or there is a charging system issue. First off you have to get that new battery charged back up and then you will need a multi-meter and we can test you charging and also get an idea the state of your new battery, I have seen new batteries bad but we can test that.

Do you have a multi-meter ? Also I need your mileage on the bike.

Thanks

Milage 29201 it's not battery i baught it new and I also baught a jump starter just in case it happened again and it did so I jump the bike with jump start box and it comes on but when I take cables off it dies or when I ride a couple feet it shuts off

OK I understand you have a new battery, we need to check that and the charging system, and correct it will not run without a battery.

So again my question to you is, do you have a meter so we can check a few things rather then me trying to guess whats wrong ?

Thanks

No I don't but I can get one tommrow.

Awesome, if you have a Harbor Freight Tool store by you, you can grab one there for about $7, in the mean time of you can charge your battery over night that will insure that its fully charged, and then just get back to me and I will get back to you as soon as I can

Thanks Demetrius !

Kenny

Found out it was regulator but I also have another problem I checked fuel pump also checked fuel pump relay when my bike turns on the fuel pump does not prime but when I run a hot wire to the fuel pump from battery she fires right up relays are good fuel pump is good

OK good, you got the charging fixed, the fuel pump is activated when the key is turned on and the ECU puts power to the pump for 2-3 seconds, that will insure that the injectors have fuel, that as soon as the bike starts then the pump is running basically continuously, I suspect that you have damage in the ECU, you might check for continuity on the wires from the fuel pump back to the ECU, if that all checks fine then you are likely looking at an ECU ?

My fans come on
Bike stars and runs it's just fuel pump wont prime so most likely it's the ecu?

I would agree with you on that Demetrius, another go over all connections make sure a wire didn't back out of one of the connection plugs, and make sure that grounds are good, if all that looks good then like I said, ECU might have been damaged from a surge when all the electrical issues were happening.

Will a 06 600 gsxr ecu work for me 06 750 gsxr?

No, the mapping is different, if the plugs match up it might be enough to test the initial authentication, but nothing after that, that's something we don't get into the mixing and matching of parts.

Ok thanks do u know where I can find a used ecu I've checked can't find.

Demetrius a lot of the clients here I have directed to eBay and with good results, you can find some cheap deals there, go to a site and look up the part number for your year and then just type it into the search on eBay and likely you have dozens to choose from.