Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Baught new battery gsxr bike turns off about a mile and the

Customer Question

Baught new battery for my gsxr bike turns off about a mile and the battery is drained
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Demetrius, my name is ***** ***** have one hell of a draw or there is a charging system issue. First off you have to get that new battery charged back up and then you will need a multi-meter and we can test you charging and also get an idea the state of your new battery, I have seen new batteries bad but we can test that.

Do you have a multi-meter ? Also I need your mileage on the bike.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Milage 29201 it's not battery i baught it new and I also baught a jump starter just in case it happened again and it did so I jump the bike with jump start box and it comes on but when I take cables off it dies or when I ride a couple feet it shuts off
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK I understand you have a new battery, we need to check that and the charging system, and correct it will not run without a battery.

So again my question to you is, do you have a meter so we can check a few things rather then me trying to guess whats wrong ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't but I can get one tommrow.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Awesome, if you have a Harbor Freight Tool store by you, you can grab one there for about $7, in the mean time of you can charge your battery over night that will insure that its fully charged, and then just get back to me and I will get back to you as soon as I can

Thanks Demetrius !

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found out it was regulator but I also have another problem I checked fuel pump also checked fuel pump relay when my bike turns on the fuel pump does not prime but when I run a hot wire to the fuel pump from battery she fires right up relays are good fuel pump is good
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK good, you got the charging fixed, the fuel pump is activated when the key is turned on and the ECU puts power to the pump for 2-3 seconds, that will insure that the injectors have fuel, that as soon as the bike starts then the pump is running basically continuously, I suspect that you have damage in the ECU, you might check for continuity on the wires from the fuel pump back to the ECU, if that all checks fine then you are likely looking at an ECU ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fans come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bike stars and runs it's just fuel pump wont prime so most likely it's the ecu?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I would agree with you on that Demetrius, another go over all connections make sure a wire didn't back out of one of the connection plugs, and make sure that grounds are good, if all that looks good then like I said, ECU might have been damaged from a surge when all the electrical issues were happening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will a 06 600 gsxr ecu work for me 06 750 gsxr?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

No, the mapping is different, if the plugs match up it might be enough to test the initial authentication, but nothing after that, that's something we don't get into the mixing and matching of parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks do u know where I can find a used ecu I've checked can't find.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Demetrius a lot of the clients here I have directed to eBay and with good results, you can find some cheap deals there, go to a site and look up the part number for your year and then just type it into the search on eBay and likely you have dozens to choose from.