Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

What is the normal operating tempature 750 cc honda v twin…

Customer Question
what is the normal operating...
what is the normal operating tempature for a 750 cc honda v twin 1998
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/27/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hey this is Kenny, how's it going, normal operating temp on this is going to be about 180-195 and then the fan will kick on about 205-210 about. Is this still acting up ?

Hey Kenny yeah the radiator I did what you said with the infrared gun and it was raining different temperatures all over the place from 195 200 down to as low as 85 the exhaust coming out was running about 210 in the engine front engine was running about 200 205 in the rear end or is running about 160

The radiator at the top will be the hottest, that as the engine reaches and the complete system equalizes it should be on the average of about 185-195 with a little cooler on the bottom after it flows through the radiator, now this is all relevant to the ambient temp you are in. I wouldn't necessary worry about exhaust temp as most of the exhaust is doubled walled.

What part of the radiator was at 85 degrees ?

The lower bottom was coolest the puff of white smoke I swear smelled like oil but the oil level is perfect maybe this Is all in my head but why would the rear vtwin be cooler than the front is that normal?

Not sure I understand, you are worried about the rear cylinder verses the front cylinder not running the same temperature ? When you checked this were you letting it idle, or did you ride the bike and then check the temperature ?

Does not matter when Kenny whether it's idling or whether you're riding it if you touch the front motor it's much hotter than the back motor it's about 30 to 40° cooler I'm just wondering why that would be

Yes for proper saturation and distribution and for everything to equalize you need to go ride the bike, I would put about 5 miles and then start checking the temperatures in various places, that will give you more of a truer reading. I think once you do that you see that they will be pretty equal.

I will try that

Cool, let me know !

The front is running 202 and the rear is running 177

Little over 20 degrees, I know the v twin ATVs the rear cylinders run a little cooler to the point where its jetted differently, I wanna say that's about right, I'll bet on a warm day that number will be closer.

those are normal operating temps? Must be in my head

They are not out of line, you want the rear cooler anyway as its closer to your body, especially on those really hot days.

Thanks Kenny I must be nuts lol head games

Ahh you're OK, being cautious is alright !

Thanks