Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Do you happen to know how to Check/adjust the oil supply to

Customer Question

Customer: Do you happen to know how to Check/adjust the oil supply to the carb on a 2003 90 i have quite a bit of smoke like to much oil. it runs ok starts right up idles good. the other thing is how do i test the electric choke. it docent seem to have any affect with it plugged in or unpluged.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: dose not foul the plug its just i have a lot of smoke in the exhaust both idling and when riding
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Motorcycle Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...2003 90..."

Still, most oil injection to the carb are fixed and governed only by the amount of suction/vacuum.

A common / known cause for "...lot of smoke in the exhaust both idling and when riding..." would be oil sludge and carbon deposit inside the exhaust system itself.

In certain instances, it would be carbon deposits at the cylinder head, piston and exhaust port of the cylinder or worst, a poor compression / loose rings.

In others, pre-mixing the 2-T oil in the fuel tank to a leaner mixture say 1:40 would reduce smoke emission.

Additionally, electric choke operates depending on the temperature. If cold, the richer the air/fuel mix. Normal or hot, then it has no 'play'.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I well send you more information tomorrow the complete S/N and such. The model is a youth 90 2x4 ATV the make is Arctic Cat. The oil supply pump is driven of a gear in the bottom of the crankcase. The throttle cable from the thumb control is single for a short section then connects to a single in and double out. With one cable going to the slide on the card the other the other going to the oil pump control. Both are adjustable. I was a Field Tech for Caterpillar for 30 years. I am retired and my wife and I are raising our two grand kids. I was given the bike from one of the members of the church we attend. The bike is in good condition for the age but has needed some common things to get it going. It didn't have any spark when I got it and they had lost the key. I started by replacing the ignition switch with a new OEM one. I installed a new battery cleaned and checked all the electrical connections and installed a new spark plug. Still no spark I replaced the CDI unit and the Coil with new OEM parts. That solved the spark issue. Next I removed the oil tank and the fuel tank and cleaned both out. I replaced all the fuel lines and fuel filter. I replaced the oil lines and inline oil filter. I rebuilt the carburetor and checked the reed valves. Filled with new gas and oil. Starts up no problem just a touch of the start button and it's running. I had to make a small adjustment to the pilot valve and the idle screw. Runs smooth and strong from idle to WOT. Just to be on the safe side I removed the Spatk Arrestor but it was clean but cleaned it while it had it out. The exhaust outlet looked clean. I wanted to bench test the elec choke unsure how to test if. So it's running and the kids are having a lot of fun on it. I just can't get it to run without smoking. Thanks sorry so long wanted to give you this extra info as complete as possible.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information and please post back clear pictures of the "... throttle cable...single in and double out...Both are adjustable..."

A bit of smoke from a 2-stroke engine is to be expected mainly because of the 2-T oil. This oil also tends to pool at the bottom of the crankcase and must be cleaned out.

Smoke can be lessened by further reducing the oil mix from 1:40 to 1:50

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I appreciate your help but i have decided to head a different direction. No offense but i am guessing you don't have access to this ATV testing and adjusting or system operations. My reason for saying this Louie is that you don't mix the the oil as a chainsaw or older two strokes, the oil mixture is controlled by the delivery to the carburetor from the adjustment on the oil pump. Its not as if i need instructions on how to adjust a cable like a throttle, brake, or clutch i am well versed with things like that. I am not trying to question your knowledge or years experience. I have all ready ordered a service manual and will wait for it to show up. Thank You for hearing my problems and taking a couple shots at it but i don't feel this is working for me and my situation.Regards *****
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

Good luck.