Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have an 05 Polaris predator 500. I just bought it and I…

Customer Question
Hi I have an 05...
Hi I have an 05 Polaris predator 500. I just bought it and I took the battery off to charge it and then I hooked it back up backwards and now I have nothing. I have no headlights no starter buttons nothing at all. If I cross the starter solenoid it will crank the bike over but I have no spark. Any advice
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/25/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi Ed, my name is ***** ***** you have the model number that helps us more, if you don't have we can get it from the 17 digit frame number.

Thanks

I have the 17 digit frame number which is. 4XAGJ50A352530077

Thanks Ed, look on the solenoid, I don't think this year model had incorporated a "main" fuse on the starter solenoid, it so it will be a 30 amp fuse, if not then, you will have a small red wire from the (battery/solenoid side) off that then that will power up the ignition switch, in the area you should find a 20 amp circuit breaker, you likely tripped that circuit breaker, this will all be around the battery.

Also one question, when you went to hook up the battery, was it just a momentary second, or longer ?

Thanks

Ok yeah I see the little 20 amp circuit breaker. How would I test to see if that it bad and yes there are 3 red wires that come off of the battery and there all fuse able links. I'll have to get a test light and text them to see if they had tripped. And it was about 10-15 minutes that it had been crossed like that. Could it have fried the Cdi unit

That's great idea test light, if you have a multi-meter also, the fusible links are part of the main harness, that's how Polaris sells them, (kinda stupid) anyway you should be able to reset the circuit breaker, likely that is all that wrong hopefully. Likely you'll be OK on the CDI, you have to get the 12 VDC squared first and go from there, that is what they have fuses in cases like what you have.

Ok great. I will have to pick up a test light and go from there. How would I test the breaker.

Ed, not sure of your location, Harbor Freight Tool stores are good source for a cheap multi-meter, or Walmart, you want to check for continuity threw the circuit breaker, I would go with a multi-meter, should be able to pick one up for under $10

Thanks

I have a multimeter what do i have to set it too

Set the meter to the ohms scale for (continuity checks) resistance, if you have resistance or an open that that part or wiring is shorted or there is an open. I'll post up a You Tube video that is a good tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUK6RPdIrA

Ok I checked both of the breakers for continuity and they are both working just fine. I have power going to the breaker and then to the igniton switch. That's as far as I got with it so far

Ed the manuals don't give us the internals and if they are making internal connections which I suspect something like that going on, obviously you determined a voltage drop indicating that you have a poor connection or a failed part including the harness, best thing and its time consuming is start at the source (connection at the regulator) and about every 6-8 inches probe that wire and you will eventually come to it. That's why when you take these into a dealer they get lots of diagnostic time. I wish I had a better answer for that, or you idea or running an extra wire, I don't like dong that because the unit wasn't manufactured that way.

Kenny