Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2014 EFI Suzuki RMZ250 that I would like to add an…

Customer Question
I have a 2014 EFI...
I have a 2014 EFI Suzuki RMZ250 that I would like to add an after market lighting kit. Here is the kit:
http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/motorcycle-products/bike-specific-lighting-kits/suzuki-lighting-kits/suzuki-rmz250-fuel-injected
It does not come with a battery, but I would like to add one. There is an optional cable from Suzuki to add a battery cable when testing the TPS. Do you know if it is possible to add the cable and battery and have the battery get charged by the bike? I don't know how much current the stator can supply, but I would also like the ability to add front and rear turn signals as well. If the current draw is too much to where the fuel pump is not getting enough current to run properly, I was thinking about adding a constant current/constant voltage circuit in front of the battery and limiting the current to basically be a trickle charger for the battery and run the lights and turn signals mainly off of the battery. The lights will not be on very often or for very long. What concerns me is whether or not the battery can be permanently attached and whether or not there is potential to damage the ECU. Questions like whether diodes between the battery and the ECU are necessary to keep current only flowing towards the battery, or whether the battery without the diodes can keep the capacitor charged for easier starting are unknown to me. Obviously I would need a key switch in there to keep the battery from getting drained. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/23/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician

Hi and thank you for your question.

What you are contemplating is a monumental task. So much so that I am curious why you want to add a battery to a system that is not designed to have one (Baja Systems). I would like to understand more about your end goal and then help resolve the problem at hand.

Thanks

RSRBOB

I am getting ready to move to Papua New Guinea (PNG). I bought the bike just last week to take with me. It was my understanding the regulations in PNG did not require a bike to have lights to drive on the road because the majority of the roads are dirt roads. I found out that information was wrong. So I began to investigate some of the after-market lighting kits and found the one I previously mentioned. It includes the headlight and taillight, but not turn signals and brake light. I called and talked with Baja Systems and asked about adding the turn signal and brake light. They told me the headlight and taillight basically maxes out the stators output capacity. Any above that would cause the fuel pump to be under powered. Knowing that I will not need the lights often or for very long, I would like to add a battery to run the lights and use the extra capacity of the stator to charge the battery. Hopefully this makes sense.
I would not think that LED brake lights and turn signals would pull that much more current.

Thank you for the additional information.

As you eluded to earlier, unless you have a charge coil to charge the battery, putting a battery in the system is going to make it a total loss system. I am well familiar with the Baja Designs light kits. If there is no surplus of amp flow, having a battery in the system is a very short term solution. All amp flow will be negative and it is just a matter of time before your battery dies. I do suspect it won't last very long either. The cable Suzuki uses to check the TPS will not be of any value when trying to add a battery into the electrical system. It merely supplies enough voltage to check the TPS.

As far as constructing a charge coil to use with the stator that would provide enough amp flow to produce positive amps at higher RPM's would be more trouble than it is worth, in my opinion. The new stators no longer separate out the various coils used where you might have a fighting chance to increase the output of one of them. The style of stator your bike has incorporates all the various windings around one laminated iron core.

Trusting Baja to know what they are talking about when they tell you the output of the stator is pretty much maxed out and being able to charge a battery isn't a great alternative either, you have few options other than forget the whole project or take a shot at it and see what happens. If the turn signals and brake light are more of a need than a want, you would probably have to forego those as well.

Current bikes just don't lend themselves well to re-engineering.

If you have to have all the lights of a street bike, you would probably save yourself a lot of grief by buying a street bike, perhaps like the DR650SE. If you need something lighter, they also make a DR200.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks

RSRBOB