Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

My name is ***** ***** and I was changing the oil in my 2007

Customer Question
Customer: Hi, My name is...
Customer: Hi, My name is ***** ***** and I was changing the oil in my 2007 crf 250X and the engine oil ran into the transmission oil
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no sign of a problem until now. drained engine oil and started refilling while draining transmission side..... all the old oil in the trans side emptied them the new oil I just added to the engine oil side drained right out with it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I am willing to wait, no problem.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi this is Kenny, can you give me an idea about the amount of hours that on this unit, and one more questions did this just start and what gave you the indication that you had a problem, was it just when you were changing your oil, or was oil being pushed out the breather ?

Thanks

Kenny

Not sure if the hours but I have owned it for several years / so lots of hours. No other indication. Just went to change the oil. No smoke and no oil in the air breather, air filter is clean.

If your engine oil is leaking that bad into the transmission then likely there is a problem wit the gasket that is used to seal the case halves, I would not suspect that there is a case problem for the fact that you don't have a mechanical issue ?

Now I'm assuming that its not a fast leak from the engine to the transmission ?

I think it is a fast leak, while the bike is off, of course, I pour oil in the engine side and with in a minute it comes out the transmission drain plug. But if it is a seal, can you tell me the name of the seal? I have been looking at OEM part schematics and can't tell which it is.
It's a place to start. Thanks.

I think that is the best place, there is a breather on the rear of the cases above the transmission, you might try to pressure it up (no more then 6 pounds of pressure) and try to see if its bleeding into the crankshaft area which I suspect it would,.

Thanks

Kenny

Ok I'll try that.

Sounds good !

Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 1 year ago

Hi this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny O.
Kenny O.