How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P.J. Your Own Question
P.J., Technician
Category: Motorcycle
Satisfied Customers: 750
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
Type Your Motorcycle Question Here...
P.J. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to change transmission oil and remove oil sludge on

Customer Question

How to change transmission oil and remove oil sludge on harley 62 servi car? No drain plug
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

The Flathead 3 speed drain is just the small bolt (3/8" thread if I remember correctly) located between the two rows of primary chain adjuster nuts underneath the transmission. You'll probably need to get the rear wheels up higher to get to get to it.

You'll remove that bolt to drain, re-install and fill with kerosene (or similar), rotate it a while, then drain and repeat until the flush comes out clean.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.