Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Hard to shift through all gears while running,shut off

Customer Question
enigen then can shift,but while...
hard to shift through all gears while running,shut off enigen then can shift,but while running its hard to shift
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/17/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician

Hi and thank you for your question.

I am happy to help you with this, but need some additional information.

First, how long has the Rhino had these symptoms?

2nd, do you have, or have access to a digital tach?

Thanks,

RSRBOB

about 2yr. no access to digital tach

OK, that is severely going to limit our ability to fine tune this, but we will take a shot at it.

The symptom you described is synonymous with the engine not unloading the transmission when trying to shift. That is why it will shift when not running, but wont shift when it is. The engine is putting pressure on the gears and they are designed to remain engaged.

With that thought in mind, I would suggest turning the idle down. It may sound like it is idling about the right speed, but you may find you can actually turn it down more and still sound like a smooth idle. What you want to avoid is creating a lope in the idle or an unstable idle, that would definitely be too low.