Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

On my 1999 Harley fatboy my headlight running lights and fog

Customer Question
lights won't run the fog...
On my 1999 Harley fatboy my headlight running lights and fog lights won't run the fog light switch seems really loose and wobbly when brights switch is turned on headlight and all running lights work is this a quick fix that can be done in garage or should it be taken to a mechanic to be safe it's my first motorcycle I'm a very new rider
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/14/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: P.J., Technician replied 2 years ago
P.J.
P.J., Technician

I'm having a little trouble understanding the issue. Let me see if I can clarify the operation for you.

The running lights should only work when the headlight is on low beam. They should turn off when on high beam. It is common for that switch to come loose. It usually just needs the nut tightened.

It isn't that complex of a system. If you have a meter and are willing to do some disassembly I can help you troubleshoot if need be.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.

None of the lights turn on when the key is turned the only way to make any lights work is to turn on brights then everything but fog lights work

When you say none of the lights do you mean the taillight as well?

Thanks, P.J.

no lights work but blinkers still work fine when key is turned no lights work but blinkers
The break lights work when squeezed sorry

You have to have multiple problems for all that to take place.

The headlight high and low as well as the auxiliary lamps are all on the same circuit. The fact that the high beam works means you have a blown low beam filament, a bad low beam wire, or a bad high/low switch. If the low beam wire or switch is the problem then it will prevent your auxiliary lights from working.

The taillight and brake lights are also on separate circuits which would explain why the brake works and the running doesn't. You may just have a bad low side filament there as well. You could also have bad wiring there too.

You have a lot going on for sure. I would probably recommend having a mechanic help you as it can get pretty complex to track down and fix multiple issues.

Thanks, P.J.

P.J.
P.J.
P.J., Technician