Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Have a 2000 Kawasaki zr7, electrical problem.. Have only one

Customer Question

Hi have a 2000 Kawasaki zr7, electrical problem..
Have only one click when I try to start the bike
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought a new battery about 90% charged, and a new solenoid.. Blinkers and horn works
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

HI my name is*****'m going to need you to check some voltages, do you have access to a volt meter (multi-meter) ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kenny, I don't have:\
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a light bulb needle thingy mageeg with a wire clip on the end?? Would that work?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Well that's not going to help me, are you in the States, of so Harbor Freight tool stores, you can pick one up there for about $7.00 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll run to O'Reillys and buy one real quick..brb
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

That will work, so once you get your meter I'm going to have you do three checks, I will post them below, please record your findings and then post them,

1. Battery in the bike and hooked up, set your meter to VDC and measure voltage at the battery with the key off.
  2. Still with meter hooked to the battery, turn the ignition switch on and record the voltage with key on.
  3. Lastly, with the meter still hooked up at battery, while observing the meter (voltage) attempt to start the bike and watch to see what the voltage drops to, you might have to perform this test a few time, you'll have to watch closely as sometimes its hard to see the voltage drop.

Once you get results please post them and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K will do thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.battery connected key off..12.8.
2. Key on is 12.6
3. Tried to turn over .80/.84/.90
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** your last numbers is less then one volt, the third test you performed is telling me that you have a bad battery, take the battery and have it tested, I think you'll find that is your problem. Now if for some reason it tested OK then you have a connection issue or an extreme case where the start motor/engine is locked up, but even at that you drop down voltage fall under 9 volts.

Have your battery tested ! and then get back with that result !

Kenny.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K so I bought the battery a month ago, and charged it today almost 90%.. Would that have anything to with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I bought a wire harness since these bikes are known to have that a major issue, would that be a step toward fixing the connection issue??
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Where did you get the battery from, and what is the make of the battery ? your results are not that of a bad wiring harness !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its from interstate battery, the person at oreillys added the battery fluid and charged it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please don't tell me the engine is seized😨
It was driven and then it randomly lost power...head light dimmed and it died, now it wouldn't turn over...
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Take it back and have them put a load on it and have them test it. Now before you start ripping into your bike and tearing things apart, It sounds like the battery internally shorted, its not going to turn the engine over with less then 1 volt, it generally wont turn it over when the voltage is at 9 volts and lower. I wont panic, just get it tested and if you can I would go to a dealer and purchase a Yuasa battery, if maintained it should last 4-5 years,

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Also your ignition system was designed to run at 12 plus, when it falls below 12 volts it will do funny stuff on the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool thanks man, I'll check the battery tomorrow and get back to ya with results
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kenny,
Just checked the battery at O'Reillys and they said it was good
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, well that is not good, I need you to something, do you have a Honda Motorcycle dealership close to you, if you can take the battery to them and have them load test the battery, sorry to put you through that but I don't trust O'reillys as I have had issues with them. Now if you can get that tested again for some reason it comes back OK, then I want you to check the negative (-) cable connections at the battery obviously, and then follow the cable to where it is bolted to the engine and make sure that connection is clean and tight.

Next do the same for the positive (+) cables, again at the battery, then from the battery to the solenoid, then the second cable from the solenoid to the actual starter motor, make sure that all the cable connections are clean and tight on the positive, there are basically 4 of them, if for some reason you found a dirty or loose connection then after fixing that then I would like you to try starting it again while performing that third test I wanted you to perform in the beginning, and give me the results.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery was good at the dealership, and connections are tight and for the most part clean..negative is tight on, and when I tried to start it there was a little smoke coming from the negative wires bolt area...still one click only😥
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I feel better about the battery, now explain a "little smoke" not sure I understand where its coming from "negative wires" what location ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I held the switch over two seconds after that click and i guess that negative wire where it connects to the frame bolt gets hot after trying to turn it over
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, we are going to take a different approach right now, next we need to check to see if this engine will actually turn over manually, so with that being said I need you to go to the r/h side of the engine, you will likely have to pull the lower fairing, you are going to see two engine covers. The smaller of the two, (maybe about 4-6 bolts) I want you to remove that cover, its the timing rotor for the ignition, you will need a socket and a ratchet (17 or 19mm) and from that side of the engine I want you to see if you can turn the engine over, when you do this turn the wrench clockwise, turn it over a couple od revolutions and then get back to me.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K will get off work in couple hrs or so..will get back with results
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Perfect !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the right cover?? It was smaller of the two
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to turn it clockwise but it was pretty tight
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, well it will be as you have the plugs in the engine, I'm sorry I was thinking that you had a ZX7, when I saw the fins on the engine, anyway we are OK, you probably were scratching you head when I said remove the lower fairing...lol

Anyway I think I want you to advance to the starter motor, I think we need to check that out, actually to pul the starter motor or get to the wire connection on the starter is fairly easy.

You will need to remove the L/H foot peg and your gear shift lever, then remove the countershaft cover (sprocket cover) once that cover is off you will see the starter motor just above and forward of the front sprocket, then you will see a post with a wire attached to it, get a 10mm wrench and see if that nut on that post is tight, of so then of you can get a jumper battery, take the battery out of the bike, and then carefully get a jumper wire and connect the battery directly to that post, then hook the (-) negative ground jumper to a good clean (not painted part) of the engine, then where all that is hooked up finely touch the jumper (-) negative to the negative post on the battery and see if the engine will turn over ?

So what you are doing is going directly from the battery to the starter motor, by-passing the main harness and the cables for the ground and positive cable to the battery

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K I just left the house for couple hrs will be back soon
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also am I performing this with the starter out of the bike??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also am I supposed to see any sparks if I touch it with cables?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

No I would really like you to perform it in the engine, just be carful when hooking up the cables, yes you will likely see sparks when you touch the (-) negative cable to the battery, do it fast and hold it tight on the post, if the engine doesn't turn over then I want you to pull the starter motor, which is really easy, two small screws on the cover then you will have 2 6mm bolts, you'll need a 10 mm again, then pull the starter motor towards you wiggling it and it will pull out of the engine cases.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kenny,
So I tried the bypass test and nothing but a spark..going to pull the starter motor out real quick
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, good, I think you have a starter motor issue !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it out..last time a whole piece..now it came out it couple parts when I pulled it out and it looks like its pretty burned up..
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

That's what I figured, well at least you know were to go.

Good Job !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was the starter giving me one click??
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Likely you were hearing the starter relay, I think the starter was shorted (internally) to ground, probably the noise you heard was the solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya it was clicking right at the solenoid, well thanks man I've ordered a rebuild kit for the starter. Hopefully that does it
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

You might look at getting an assembly, if you have never rebuilt a starter and you really need a growler to check the armature, and you should really cut the commentator on a lathe or it will just eat up your new brushes. This one sound pretty messed up, just my opinion.

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K I'll look into it man
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I think you'll be better in the long run !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool thanks for all the help!!
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Just as a follow up, what did you come up for a starter, also I would appreciate your accept and rate this question, Thanks again !

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate an accept on this, I spent a lot of time with you as you were eager to figure out was wrong.

Thanks

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kenny,
Been flushed with work lately,
It really wasn't the starter, I think the engine was seized due to the fact I couldnt turn over the bike in gear at all:\
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It almost feels like somethings jammed, whats a good replacement for the engine??
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Engine replacement is something that you'll need to source from a junkyard, try eBay, likely it will cost much more then the bike is worth if you try to repair what you have, get on the internet of it you have a motorcycle salvage place in your area, start there as they deal with all the junkyards nation wide.