Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 2004 Harley Ultra. Upon strat up the bike idles

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Harley Ultra. Upon strat up the bike idles okay then once I begin to ride it unless I feather the throttle and clutch she wants to jerk and jump like its going to stall then it just accelerates like no tomorrow and takes off. However it will do this as I am going thru the gears and then at around 45 it wants to stall out. If I downshift into a lower gear sometimes it will pick back up and other times it wont.
I have checked for codes and no codes are coming up. I have replaced the map sensor throttle sensor and nothing seems to be working. Need some help please.
Thanks Kirk
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update, I just went outside to start and move the bike back into the garage and it has done this before, where it idles up around 2600 rpm then as I sit it begins to idle down slowly so I can shift into gear. Also another odd thing is that the bike being an Ultra is fully loaded alarm etc. Since it has begun acting up I can start it, ride it miles away with having an alarm fob with me or anything. In the past I could not even get it to start without the fob in my pocket. Is it possible the ECM is going corrupt?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the 2004 does not have a proximity FOB. you are required to perform 2 quick clicks of the security FOb to stat a 2004 model.

right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The FOB before needed to be at bike to disarm the alarm so I could start it. That's not the case now. The FOB can be elsewhere and the bike will start.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

- did you perform any maintenance or add any accessories before this started?

- who services the bike?

- how many miles on the bike?

again, the security system for 2004 does not use a proximity FOB. did you upgrade the security system to a 2008 or newer version?

it sounds like you have several things going on.

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am second owner. Bought from a HD dealer. The bike has 67,000 plus miles on it. I have owned it less than a year received a 90 day warranty from dealer with DE inspection for tags.
In the last 4 months I have had to replace the drive belt, the front cog where the belt travels, the map sensor the alternator and throttle sensor.
The above work was done by a friend of mine who used to work at a dealership.
The bike has hooker mufflers on it and to my knowledge no upgrades to the motor.
The prior owner put a mess of kuryakyn chrome accessories and led lights.
This morning I started the bike and it immediately went to 2600 rpm as cold idle. About 10 minutes later it dropped to 1200 rpm. I drove it down the street and at take off with slow acceleration I could get going then going into 2nd it started to act like no throttle was present then it sputtered and jerked and then took off. The same occurred going into 3rd gear. I just came back to the house saw your response and now I am replying.
Thanks for your help
Kirk
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

at what RPM do you shift at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve
From 1-2 at 2800 to 3200
From 2-3 about the same
Right now in going to 4th or 5th and at 40-45mph it acts like it's breaking up
Kirk
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

if you intend to accelerate, you should be shifting at higher rpm. about 3000-3500 or higher.

you should not be accelerating hard in 5th gear at 40-45 mph.

what you are describing to me are the symptoms of lugging the engine.

the high idle sounds like either an intake leak or a bad engine temp sensor.

- check for an intake leak by spraying CARB cleaner on the intake seals with the engine at idle. you'll know right away if you have a leak.

- I also recommend checking the fuel pressure.

if you have no intake leaks and the fuel pressure is normal, I would replace the engine temp sensor.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The way the motorcycle is acting it reminds me of my Ford truck when the coils started to go bad and it would break up then smooth out it would do it on slow acceleration or quick acceleration but when I replaced the coil's it stoped doing it completely that's what I was wondering if maybe was not
The problem with this HD. The problem with my truck is the same as with this Harley it's consistent it never goes away
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I doubt it, but you can replace the coil if you like.

otherwise, see my answer above.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one other question Steve and I'll leave you alone about this mess the code master of which I have one is what I used to determine that I needed to replace the map sensor would not one of those deficiencies show up on the Codemaster would it not come up as a code error ?
Thank you
Kirk
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

codemaster? why wouldn't you just use the speedo to retrieve the codes? I have no experience with a code master. it is not required.

retrieve codes as follows:

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

let me know what you find and I'll tell you what the code means.

- your MAP sensor is not likely to have anything to do with this. the only thing it affects is the vacuum advance curve. if you had a problem with detonation, I would suspect the MAP sensor.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you.

Steve