Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Cannot get 2007 Yamaha rhino 660 to turn on. Buyer coming in

Customer Question
morning bought new battery and...
Cannot get 2007 Yamaha rhino 660 to turn on. Buyer coming in morning bought new battery and the machine won't start. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
12/10/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi my name is***** need a little bit more direction, tell me exactly what it does ? what works and what doesn't ? Also do you have a multi-meter ?

Thanks

Its continuously clicking and not wanting to turn over. All the fuses are good and we are on our second battery. The charger also says the battery now only has 10%. As soon as we put a battery in and try to start it it drains the battery. Seems like it's not getting enough fuel maybe
Always have a problem keeping charge on batteries. I need it to work to get it on the trailer tomorrow at least or I might lose the sale
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Whatever is easier for you, phone or messaging. Please let me know
Hello will anyone be answering me?

I'm here, let me grab the manual for this thing, give me a little bit here

Thanks

Do you have a multi-meter (volt meter) ?

OK good, lets start here, measure battery voltage

1. Measure voltage with everything hooked up (key off)
  2. Measure voltage, Key on (observe voltage drop)
  3. While observing the meter voltage, they starting the unit and check the voltage drop

Make sure you write it down !

in the mean time has the unit been sitting ? Last time you used the unit, and give me an idea hours and miles ?

Thanks

It has been sitting always for long periods of time and we have to charge the battery or jump it to start now it just won't start at all. Miles are 1611 can't recall the hours

OK get me those results

Thanks

He is getting the meter now. Checked on the battery charger and its full and still didn't turn over. Give me a few minutes to get the meter and check that. Thanks

Does it click, lights come on ? does he unit have power to any of the accessories ?

it clicks and the lights come on. I can even read the dash

OK, lets get those readings, that's good

Any ideas yet? If this isn't an easy fix I think my hubby will have a heart attack

Ahh, we'll get it ! Its a process now ! Get him a cocktail....lol

Well any results ?

Now he can't find it or we don't have one
I dont know what to tell you except I guess I'm sorry for keeping you up

OK, so what we are looking for is measuring the voltage with everything off, it should be over 12 VDC, with a decent charged battery about 12.6 VDC, then with everything off and you just turn the key on you might see maybe .3-.6 voltage drop, then when you try to start the engine if the voltage drops below 10.0 VDC the battery needs replacing. Based on everything I got from you its pointing at the battery, do you know the type of the battery charger hes using ? I'm in California,

It's a lawn mower battery from Walmart and a regular battery charger from 2amps to 10 amps

Walmart batteries are really bad, make sure that the charger is on the 10 amp, if its been sitting then likely its sulfated, the higher amperage will sometimes bring them back., I'm going to look up the size battery that Yamaha requires. I will be back

That's a 35ah battery, that should be on 10 amps for at least 4-5 hours and then you can back it down to 2 amp,

We have a 12 volt ever start battery same as our other machine and that one has no issues. I will charge it at 10 amps till I get up and keep my friends nerd crossed. What if it still doesn't work?

Make sure that he checks all the connections at the battery (tight and clean) and I don't like recommend this but if he has to he can jump it with one of your cars however (DO NOT START THE CAR WHEN JUMPING IT) you can use the car battery as a booster, but running the car while jumping it can damage the electrics.

Tell him to hook up the positive to both batteries first and then the negative cable on the Rhino and then connect it to the car last, then try starting the Rhino.

Oops I meant "my fingers crossed" not friends nerd
;) LOL

I didn't catch your name ?

Felicia!
And thanks for your help!
So much!!!!

Just make sure that if he's going to use the car, just be careful and to make good positive connections with the jumpers and don't make sparks. Like I said earlier its all pointing at the battery, so if this doesn't work go get a battery in the morning and that will likely fix your problem. If not get back to me in the morning and we'll keep going,

Thanks Felicia, good luck and hope your sale goes threw !

Goodnight !

Kenny

Will do! Hope to have good news in the morning! Thank you!
Have a good night as well!

Just wondering how everything worked out, didn't hear back so, I'm assuming no news is good news ?

Kenny

Kenny O.
Kenny O.