P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

My 2010 cover softail needed a new battery,after replacing

Customer Question

My 2010 cover softail needed a new battery,after replacing it started. When I shut it off and tried to restart it wouldn't respond and alarm started going off. I got a new battery for the fob and it still has red key and wagging turn signals....help!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Many times "new" fob batteries are not good enough for the HD fob. The fob requires at least 3.0 volts DC to operate and the batteries are considered good by the manufacturer at 2.8 volts. If you have a meter check the fob battery you have to insure the voltage is correct. If it is you'll want to verify that it is a 2032 model battery and nothing else. There are two others that look very similar but will not work. If both of those things check out good then the last thing to verify is that the battery is installed correctly, positive side (writing side) down. You should not be able to see writing when installed correctly. If you verify all that is correct and it still does not disarm the system then you may have inadvertently caused an issue with the antenna. It is a rectangle black "mystery" box that is located just on top of the battery toward the front of the bike. It clips onto the plastic cover above the battery. If it gets damaged or disconnected then it will not receive the fob signal to disarm the ignition. I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the battery upside down!
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
Don't feel bad, it happens pretty often. Thanks, P.J.