Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 2006 Katana and it was making and it won't start.

Customer Question
Hello Brian I have a...
Hello Brian I have a 2006 Katana and it was making and it won't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
11/27/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Hi Brian my name is***** think you might have left something out of your sentence, not sure if I understand ?

Thanks

Kenny

Yesterday I started my cycle and while it was warming up it stalled out and it wouldn't start back up. It has a full tank of gas and I checked the fuses. I have a new battery in it. Now it's not making any sound at all.

Thanks Brian, OK now I gotcha, Have you been using the bike and then all of a sudden this happened, when you say its not making "any sound at all" are you referring to the starting is not turning the engine over ?

Also did this also seem to appear when you changed out the battery ?

Kenny

My name is ***** ***** yes I have been riding often at the time it's my only transportation. The battery is about a year old so no I didn't just recently change it. Yes it happened suddenly.

Thanks James, so your haven't really said, does the engine turn over when you press the starter button ?

Also do you have access to a multi-meter ?

Kenny

Originally it almost turn over now it won't make a sound and I don't even know what a multi meter is.

I multi-meter is for checking voltages and resistance checks, its a tool used for diagnosing electrical problems, if you have a Harbor Freight tool store close to you they have some inexpensive ones you can pick up.

Let first make sure that ALL your fuses are OK, you stated that you checked the fuses in the fuse box, that good, just lets double check those, not sure is you checked the main fuse which is located on the starter relay.

That one you will need to locate the starter relay. if you are not sure where that is, follow the (+) Red lead from the battery, that will connect to the starter relay, there is a cover on the relay, remove the cover and you should have a "green" spade type fuse, likely that on is blown, remove the fuse and replace if blown. Now while at the starter relay check the connections on bot cables, one from the battery and then other cable is the one that leads to the starter motor, make sure both those connections are clean and tight.

Then make SURE that your connections on the battery are clean and tight, if you blew the main fuse that might likely from a loose cable, or touching the positive cable to ground. When checking the cables on the solenoid make sure your battery is disconnected first, then after checking those connections at the solenoid, hook back up the battery in the order of hooking up the red cable first (with the black disconnected) then after you have the positive (+) red cable secure and tight, then hook up the black (-) negative cable, then see if it starts.

Let me know if helps and the outcome, in the mean time you have ANY questions please get back to me and I'll be glad to answer any of them.

Thanks James

Kenny

Thanks, ***** ***** everything, now I can't find the slot for the battery cable. As soon as I slightly moved the battery from it's housing it fell off and I don't know where to reattach it.

Not sure if I'm following you, can you take a picture and post it up ?

Thanks

Kenny O.
Kenny O.