Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a yamaha raider 08 I push the start button the start

Customer Question

i have a yamaha raider 08 I push the start button the start relay clickes and i lose all power. i wiggle a small ground wires coming off the battery and get the power back as if there's a short i can not find a bad ground yet and replaced battery and relay
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) would be to re-inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Particular attention to all black wires including those tied to the battery's - terminal, harness to frame and engine ground.

Additionally, consider to hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the engine. frame and harness' black wire(s).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Louie I was not aware how this works and wish it was explained before I started.
I don't have my bike at my house and was not aware this was an immediate process I will try to get to it as soon as possible. That being said it could be awhile. If you guys explained it in the beginning that we should be working on the bike when I asked I would have held off. If I can get there this weekend I'll check it out. Thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand Alan and no prob; post back with an update when able.