Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 2012 mule 4010 trans mule I have spark compression

Customer Question

I have a 2012 mule 4010 trans mule I have spark compression and fire but all it does is roll over it will not start battery is charged.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you give me a number on the compression ? How many hours are on this unit ? and what is its general purpose of the unit ? And if you have the 17 digit frame number that a big help as I can get the exact model code from that ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JK1AFCR15CB514719
Hours is 1291
I use it for my deer lease in the hill country i just had the throttle body rebuilt and cleaned from a dealer and replaced the fuel pump assy. It ran fine saturday morning on the way to the stand and saturday afternoon when i left it would just roll over. When i got home i started it ran for about 10 seconds then died and will bot start again
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks KAF620RCF

You didn't give me a number on the compression ?

As to the dealer that replacing the fuel pump, how come that was replaced ?

When you brought it to the dealer, what was the symptom ?

Has the unit been serviced lately including checking the valve clearance ?

I understand that different parts of the country we explain things a little different, when you are referring to "roll over" I'm assuming that you are referring to the, "engine cranks over when the starter motor is engaged but it will not start" is that correct ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to use my compression tester yetThe first symptom was no power engine would bogg down going up a hill after a couple of minutes driving on flat ground it would also bogg downIt has been serviced i have not checked valve clearances thoughYes engine is cranking when starter is engaged but will not start
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** compression measurement is critical, this engine has an inherent problem with the intake valves sticking and then clearance issues, so that's why I questioned you on valve adjustment, you need to check the clearance on those. Also you didn't state why the fuel pump was replaced, did it fail one of the two tests that are called out in the service manual, just an FYI Kawasaki has since made the replacement filters for that pump now with is a heck of a lot cheaper then replacing the pump assembly.

So of you can get me a compression reading and then I would like you to check the valve clearance, then while the cover are off you can turn the engine over and then you can visibly look at the rocker arms and make sure that they are all moving as they should.

Not sure if you have a service manual, but if you are going to perform the valve inspection I can give you guidance and specs on that procedure.

Let me know if this helps or you have any further question, if so please get back and I will be glad to help you out further.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the fuel pump because when i took it in to the shop they rebuilt the throttle body and when i got it back it was still doing the same thing my brother in law said his did the same thing bogg down to where you can not go anywhere so i replaced the fuel pump. It ran great around the housewhen i took the kids on a hay ride for holloween pulling them on a trailer. Just started messing up again. I can google the valve clearance spec and try it tomorrow
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I will post that up for you, you need to make SURE that your fuel tank is spotless, a lot of times these pumps and filters get changed and the technician neglects to properly clean the fuel tank, the source that started it all !

So get me a compression measurement and then lets make sure that the push rods are in place and the rockers are moving when the engine is turning over, I will post up your top end specs, let me know if you have any problems !

Thanks

Kenny

http://www.hightail.com/download/bXBaanZ2cGtiV3p2WnRVag