Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

I have a 2001 Honda Rubicon that has a new gel battery and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Honda Rubicon that has a new gel battery and is plugged into a trickle charger when not in use. Went to load it up for the elk hunt and the battery was close to dead, ended up having to use the pull starter to start it. Once the machine is in use, it starts with ease, if it sits for a day or two, it gets extremely low. I do have heated grips and a winch, the winch is unhooked because it was the first thing I thought of, (direct wired) the grips are wired thru the ignition switch. I obviously have a drain on the battery but where??
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me a little bit about your heated grips, do you know which ignition wire is being used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without digging into it, the issue has never come up until now. I will pull the fuse on the grips and let you know. They are switched and it was actually the first place I looked, they were off.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Try that and also one other component. Under the rear fender on the right is the regulator, it has some red and green wires as well as three yellow wires, try unplugging that and let me know if you get the same results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do, right now I have the battery disconnected and on the charger.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

were you able to find out anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was out of town all weekend so I did not work on it.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, just let me know when you do get to that point and we can determine the issue from there. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doing a draw test with a multi meter, according to the book, I have the positive disconnected, with the black lead connected to the positive cable and the red lead connected to the positive post. With the key off, it is showing 00.3 mA, is that a normal draw?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

yes that isnt much draw at all. If it was .3 A that would be a bit more but if your sure is mA then that isnt enough to draw down your battery. If you did this draw test with everything still connected then I would have to say you have a bad battery. Even though it is new, it can still be bad and would reccomend getting it replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I seem to go thru batteries on this machine, is it just bad luck or could there be something causing it? I just went out and cranked it over, draws the battery down real fast.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

how often are you going through batteries? where are you purchasing them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have to admit that I have bought cheap ones in the past but the last one was from a Honda dealer and a gel battery, one year old.